Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sixstringbass, Dec 23, 2005.

1. sorry if this has already been asked but I have a bass cab gk backline 4x10 8 ohm at 400 watts I have a peavey bass head from the 70s 130 watts at 4 0hms so what am i running my cab on if it is 130 at 4 ohms on a 400 watt 8 ohm cab? im new to this stuff and wanted to know if this made a difference in the output of the cab or from the head. thanks :help:

2. Your cab presents an 8 ohm load to the amplifier. The cabinet can handle 400 watts of power, if it were hooked up to an amp that could deliver 400 watts of power into an 8 ohm load.

If your amp can produce 130 watts into a 4 ohm load, and I assume this is a transistor (solid-state, not tube) amp, it will probably produce about 80 to 90 watts into an 8 ohm load. So your rig is putting out 80 to 90 watts.

Look at the sticky at the top of these threads, under the FAQ there is a section on "ohms". This will help explain what an ohm is (a unit of electrical resistance) and how it relates to amps and power output.

3. thanks a lot Ill look at the faq

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    If I run 3 eight ohm cabs in parallel what is my final ohm load?

5. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    1/(1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8)=2.666... ohms.

'rick

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Ohms should have a number in front of it; otherwise the word is impedance.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Thanks for the help guys.