1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OHM Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OliverHumanzee, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Well I recieved my new bass head. A peavey T Max.
    500 W at 2 ohms
    350 W at 4 ohms
    200 W at 8 ohms

Im currently running this amp through a 1 x 15 8 ohm speaker that used to be an ashdown combo. I took out the blown amp and solderred up the speaker to a 1/4 inch plug.

The amp has 2 1/4 speaker jacks, a main and a parralel extension out. I read running one 4 ohm cab = 4 ohms but two 4 ohm cabs = the amp runs 2 ohm... is that accurate?

If i add another 8 ohm cab would i really be at 4 ohms?

2. Yes
    And Yes

3. Wow very interesting!
    Well i already want to get a second cab. Im happy with the amp upgrade so far but after playing on my 1 x 15 i got the feeling i would benefit from a few 10s or something?

I really just get together with friends when i play. I just have to keep up with the drummer.

Im just getting into the world of bass I know nothing of cabs.
    Can i run my 8ohm 15 with a 4 ohm 10 cab or am i better off with an 8 ohm 10 cab? what dif would it make?

Thanks!

4. Since your head will handle 2 ohms, you can do it.

You will be running a 2.67 ohm load. 2/3 of the power will go to the 4 ohm cab, and 1/3 of the power will go to the 8 ohm cab.

I actually prefer to do it the exact opposite. I sometime run a 1X18 (4 ohm) with a 2X12 (8 ohm).

The 18 is a less efficient speaker than the 2X12, and takes more power to be "equally" loud. Therefore, I feed more power to my bottom end speaker, and less to the 12's.

5. Well i dont think my 15 is a very good speaker. It seems to get overwhelmed by the power quite easily. Maybe I would be better off putting the power to a couple of good 12s.

I am thinking a 4 ohm 2 x 12 with my 8 ohm 15. Later someday i can replace the 15 with a good 4 ohm. And be running 2 ohms for maximum power! Let me know if there is a better option before i start looking.

Thanks guys, this is a super helpful forum

6. Avatar 212 would be a good choice, may find you don't need that 15" after all?

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The original speaker cab for the combo doesn't have to handle any more than the combo used to put out. That's why it doesn't do well when you push it harder.

Try some new cabinets and see how you like them. Tone and volume are what you want.

8. One of the things that I dislike about combo amps is that they tend to be a bunch of compromises. Very often the speaker cabinet is poorly designed for the speaker they install. If, down the road as you say, you stick any old 4Ω speaker into that box you could very well be worse off than you are now. If you want good sound you must have decent speakers to get that.

Paul

9. I think i know what you are saying. Those low frequencies cause problems at higher volumes, like the air cant escape the cab fast enough. I only know open back guitar combos so i dont know much. But more power would have the same issues i would imagine.

Will i be much worse off if i just throw some eminence bass 12s in any old 2 by 12 i come across, compared to say... the suggested avatar that looks quite nice. Either way i think ill hold off this seems to be working for now, and i got the eq dialed in nicely. Im actually pretty darn happy.

10. Just putting new speakers in a cab you may find just yields poor results. For the price difference of two GOOD speakers and a used cab you would be better off with the Avatar 212.

11. I hear you. So if i were to do just one cab to take care of all my needs from a tone and volume point of view what should i go for? A good 1x15, 2x15, 2x12, 4x10?
    and i guess one 4 ohm cab would be sufficient?

12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The Avatar B212 NEO (2X12") is rated @ 500 watts RMS, 56 lbs. and is available in 8 ohm or 4 ohm versions for $369 USD + shipping.

Experiences & opinions: Avatar Owners Club

press & reviews

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for a nice 2x12. ..then add another, and with 4 12's, you rule the world.