1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kuys, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I have two 8 ohms cabinets and I want to feed them off of my amp. It has a tap for 2 4 8 and two 1/4 speaker outputs. If I want to connect both 8 ohm cabinets I need to set the amp for 4 ohms right?

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Yes. Unless the outputs are wired to connect the speakers in series (that happens). The easiest way to find out is probably to leave it at 8 ohms and plug in one cab and play at low volume, then plug in a disconnected plug or cable in the other ouput. If it goes silent the outlets are in series, otherwise in parallel.

3. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    +1

4. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Yes, two 8Ω cab in parallel would require the impedance selector to set for the 4Ω tap. The two speakers jacks should be in parallel to each other, though I've seen a few exceptions especially on modified amps. What amp do you have?

5. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Peavey Tour VB-2. Well, I used both speaker outputs and set it to 4Ω and voilĂ  it worked. Although I think one of the speakers in new/old said cab is blown.

6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Just because it works doesn't mean it's correct, although I'd bet a substantial sum on it being correct in this case...

Oh, and by the way: It's "voilĂ ". This is a bass forum. Violas has no real place here...

7. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Speaker cabs in question. Paid $35 bucks a piece for them so not bad on vintage speakers with stock equipment to only have one bad speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Are those old PA cabs? How do they sound aside from the bad speaker? I wouldn't wanna haul those to gigs, but they look cool. Shoot, I've paid more than $35 for empty cabs.

9. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Yeah, they are old PA cabs.

Sounds great with the Peavey head and my upgraded Hondo II. Surprisingly articulate response; notes are very clear besides for the one speaker in the top left position on the right most cab. Overdrive tone is very "tight".