Ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Apr 27, 2003.

1. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    Alright guys, I need your help. I absolutely do NOT understand this ohm stuff. I'm about to buy the Peavey 2x10 TVX with a rating of 175 watts RMS continous @ 4 ohms and 350 watts program. I am also going to buy the Peavey Firebass head with 700 watts into 2 ohms, 475 into 4 ohms, and 275 into 8 ohms. What does all of this mean?

I'm also going to buy in a month the Peavey 4x10 TVX cab. Should this be an 8 ohm or a 4 ohm cab and why?

Thanks guys. Again, i'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok here goes:
    2 8ohm cabs will equal 4 Ohms when run in Parallel (One cab in each speaker out)
    2 4ohm cabs will equal 2 Ohms when run in Parallel.
    1 8ohm cab + 1 4ohms cab will equal 2.67 ohms.

So basically if you want the most power out of your head you should get a 4ohm 410. This means that if you run both the cabs together you will be running the head at 2ohms and getting 700 watts into the cabs. If you run only one of the cabs you will get 475 watts.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can I just add that if you're going to run 2 ohms load and get 700 watts out of the head, buy speakers that can handle that much power. The peavey you're looking at is rated at 175 watts (ignor the program rating. The RMS continuous one is more important) and will be recieving 350watts. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a better than average understang of amps.
  4. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    Thanks guys. I will get the 4 ohm 4x10 then. And I have a head right now that only puts out 200 watts....it's a cheap OLD carvin head....that I will use for the 2x10's until I get the 4x10. But thanks guys. That helped a lot!