Ohm rating and cab use

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knight, Nov 25, 2002.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Hi guys, I would appreciate your opinion on this:
    I just bought a SWR 750x head, and I have an 8 ohm 410 I want to plug it in. I also wanted to plug in the amp's extra out in one of my singer's two huge PA speakers (four ohm each) DIRECT. What would be the final ohm value for the amp? It can't go below 2.6 (which is an 8 and a 4 I believe) or it will blow...
    Alternatively, do you think I should run the amp through the mixer, through the PA, and finally through the speakers? I hope this makes sense...
    Thanks very much for your help, if you have questions just shout (loud).
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Running thru the mixer, thru the PA amp, thru the PA speakers, puts you in the PA.

Why not just run the 750 into the 4x10 and make some noise? Why do you want/need the PA cab as well as your 4x10?

Oh, and welcome:cool:
  3. Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Is that SWR head the one that comes with the 8X10's SWR Workingman's Tower? Do you like the head? How is it?:confused:
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Running one 8 ohm speaker and one 4 ohm speaker in parallel (which is what you'll be doing) will give you 2.67 ohms, which is what your SWR head is rated to handle.

I don't know if this is what you were asking, but if you plug the speaker out of your SWR head into the mixer you'll probably cause some serious damage to the mixer. Use the DI out of your SWR to go to the mixer.
  5. if you are running into 4x10 and both PA cabs the ohms would be 1.6 (no no) Why are you wanting to plug direct into the PA cab?