1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ohm recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianmharrison, Mar 25, 2009.

1. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I'm looking to acquire an SWR bass 350 and an Avatar 2x10 cab.
    The head puts out 220 into 8ohms and 350 in 4 ohms.
    Do you think I should go for an 8ohm cab or 4 ohm cab?
    Do you think 220 watts into one 2x10 will be loud enough or will 350 watts really not be that much louder than 220 watts into the same cab?

Right now, I'm playing small gigs with pa support
    Thanks!

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    If it were me, I'd go with one -4 ohm cab the Avatar B212

get the max out of that sucker!

3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    This is a pretty tough question. Are you going to want to add another cab in the future? If thats the case you'd most likley want the 8 ohm cab, but if your looking for a one cab setup, i'd get the 4 ohm cab to get those extra watts.

4. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    not really. I'm looking for something small and light....but you never know.
    I think I'm just going to go for the 4 ohm so I'll have the head room if I need it. If I need more power later, I'll just have to buy another cab.

5. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I had a similar debate with myself when I bought my mesa walkabout (which is 300w into a 4 ohm cab, or 150 into a 8 ohm cab). I finally decided to go with the 4 ohm cab for these reasons:

1. getting the 8 ohm cab so I could add an expansion cab later just seemed like a really heavy option.... I would be lugging around 2 cabs to ge the sound of one. the best solution for a secondary cab is to get a larger 4x10 or 8x10 or whatever and leave the smaller one at home (or leave the larger one at home if I don't need it)

2. once i made the decision about not adding a secondary cab, then it doesn't make any sense to get the 8 ohm cab as you may as well get what you can out of the smaller setup (for instance, I might have needed 200 w at some point, why limit myself to 150?... I don't want to bring a heavier cab - or even secondary cab - just so I could get the extra 50w I need, especially if the lighter head and cab could be configured to give me those extra 50w)