1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohm splitter box, cant daisy chain

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beebassdude, Aug 26, 2012.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    So i just got a 70 blueline SVT, i currently have 2 8ohm cabs (Acoustic 408s rewired from 2 ohms) that im running with my SVT VR. on the 4ohm tap it works fine as it should, however with the vintage SVTs there are no switches and if i plug both cabs in the amp will be looking for a 2ohm load, cant do that. I cant daisy chain either because the 408s have a single input. someone in my NAD thread mentioned there are ohm splitters, for example id just plug both cabs into a box, and that box would be plugged into the SVT sending it a 4ohm load. Where can i get one and who makes them? dont wanna make it myself, id like to buy one.

worse comes to worse ill just rewire the cabs to 4 ohms, but id like to avoid that for the time being.

2. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have never seen one of these sold commercially. I think this is something you would have to build. I've built a couple in the past for similar purposes.

3. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    bummer. figured radial or one of the DI box companies would make something like this. ok then.

4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Could you not create a special cable that was y shaped with two 1/4 ends wired in parallel on one end, and a single 1/4" on the other? shouldn't be too hard if you have the tools and know-how.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    What ohm "taps" does the blue line have? I thought those were 4 or 2 Ohm stable like all 300watt SVTs?
    You can make a series or a parallel splitter cable if you need to. It's not doing any ohm magic. You can also put a parallel to series switch in each cab.
    Wes

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Double post removed...sorry

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The original amps didn't have an impedance switch. The main output jack was wired to the 4 ohm tap, plugging into the extension speaker output switches to the 2 ohm tap.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It looks like just the ticket. Being a Y splitter, it is connecting things in parallel as required. Even better, they sell a version with no decals for $17.

I would ask them if the wiring gauge that they use is sufficient to handle the output of a 300W amp. I would also ask if they use insulating washers on the jacks (Switchcraft S1028 and S1029). This isn't necessary but it is safer to insulate the jacks from the box. If not, they can easily build one for you to your specifications.

The Power Y box below that Isabina posted looks like a good quality product. These sort of adaptors are always nice to have on hand in the gig bag in case you need one in a pinch.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Ok, so you just need to use te main out then and get a 4 ohm load on it with the two cabs in parallel. You could do it with a cable or a box, but I would just modify the terminal cup on the box and put another speaker out on one of the cabs. You will always have it with you that way. It's probably cleaner looking too.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Wow! That's a 4x15 cab and you need two of them! :)

12. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    well i dont NEED 2 of them, i ENJOY 2 of them! haha

i have 2 612s on the way as well. but whos counting at this point!

13. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, a splitter cable makes me nervous for high-powered speaker use; the box looks nice and reliable, but i myself would just add a parallel jack to one of the cabs.