Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohmage + db728...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZisBass, Jun 13, 2005.

1. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    OK, cabs...
    I'm looking at getting the epi ul410, does it make a difference with the 728 if I go 8 or 4? If I go 8 and add a second (in the distant, distant future when the credit card cools) I'd be running 2 cabs at 4 and if I had 2 4 ohmers I'd be running at 2. Is there any difference in sound or how hard it runs the amp? thoughts? does it matter?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

If your amp can handle 2ohms, then get a 4ohm cab. It will output almost twice the wattage of an 8ohm cab.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FYI, the word you are looking for is IMPEDANCE, not 'ohmage' . . . just a friendly public service announcement. ;)

4. Not the db728. Tube amps= taps to MATCH impedance. If you go higher, (yes, the opposite of s/s thinking) you risk damaging your amp.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Oh, I didn't realize it's a tube. I'm not very knowledgable in tube amps and their ohms required.

6. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    So back to the question, does resistance make any difference in sound or how hard it taxes a tube power amp? A guitar player has told me that a higher resistance guitar cab will sound more pristine but I think he's thinking about the stereo power amp section of a guitar amp, different beast I imagine...anyone?

7. He has no idea what he's talking about. A higher impedance INPUT stage makes a difference in an amp's tone (don't worry about this unless you play piezo pu's).

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Listen to PBG. With a tube amp like the 728, it really doesn't care whether it drives a 2 ohm load or a 4 ohm load (so long as you have it set to the correct setting - 2, 4, or 8 ohm), and it will sound the same, and put out the same power at each setting.

But again, as Sir Psycho says, conventional wisdom would tell you that with tube amps, you generally want to go for a lower impedance value, as opposed to a higher one. I think you'd be fine with either setup (2 ohm or 4 ohm, total).

That's a great amp, BTW.

Tom.

9. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    well I guess with all things being the same I'll go 4 ohm...seeing as most of the cabs I'd think about pairing it with would be available in 4 (for 2 ohm even)...not really a big deal, but just wanted to make sure.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IIRC, the 728 has a switch that allows you to select 8,4, or 2 ohms so you can use any of those 3 loads. double check with aggie to make sure, i'm sure they will still answer questions on the d/c 728

11. ZisBass

ZisBass

May 19, 2005
    The BK lounge
    oh, I think I can just look at the back of the amp without calling aggie ;) yeah it's 2, 4 or 8. i was just thinking if I got two 4 ohm cabs I'd be at two. Instead of a mixture of an 8 and a 4 which is 6? (add em up and divide by the number of cabs...am I right here?) eh, doesn't matter at this point, ordered the 4 and probably won't be getting another one, at least for a long time...

12. Nope. That's a 2.67 ohm load. Check the FAQ up top as to why.