1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ohmage question/reassurance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Limlam, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Im running a amepg 810E and a Lab Series 2x15 from a Sunn 300T. The Lab series has an impedance of 8ohms. I get confused about the 810 it has 2x410 at 8ohms so when i run it in mono that would make it 4ohms right? so when i run it with an 8ohm cab that would take it to 2.6 ohms according to:

1 / (1/4 + 1/8)

i can switch my amp down to 2 ohms but do you think this could cause any problems? or am i calculating things wrong here?

oh yeah i guess im running in parallel i.e each cabinet from an output on the amp not daisy chained.

i dont want to sound like an idiot i just dont want to risk my babies getting hurt haha

2. If your amp has a 2 ohm tap, you should be safe. It will not, however, be the most effcient. You might notice that one cab is a good bit louder than the other, also.

You have a gig where the 810E alone is not cutting it?

3. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    well i play alot of doom so loudness and the ability to make people feel you as well as hear you is always a bonus but i picked up the 2x15 for free so i thought id give it ago

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Your Sunn is a tube amp, is it not? In that case power output will be unchanged BUT it is far safer to run a tube amp with a lower resistance than the speaker setting, unlike transistors. Therefore you will be better off setting the amp at 4 ohms with a 2.6 ohm speaker load - the other way could do some serious damage. There are plenty of threads on this, but look at PsychoBassGuy's thread in the FAQs for a good start.

5. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    its been awhile i know but im trying to get info on the lab series 2x15 - you said it was 8ohms, what are the speakers and wattage handling of the cab?

is it heavy?

well built?

sound good?

thanks

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OP hasn't been around for 3 years... best bet would likely be to e-mail him.

7. There is no such word as 'ohmage'! The correct term is impedance as you correctly used in the body of your post.

8. Darn it! Yet another zombie thread!!!!

9. This thread is an homage to ohmage.

10. Don't make me come over there!!!! :rollno: :D

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I kinda like that-