1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohmage/Rewiring Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happynoj, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    OK, hypothetical question here, as I do not have this stuff, or intend to get it. I was just wondering:

Supposing I had the Kustom 1200W head, and the Behringer 4x10 cab with the paper cones (rated at 1200W).

The cab is 4ohms, and at 4ohms the head puts out 750W. Can the cab be rewired, so that the head will push the full 1200W into the cab? Or can you make it so that the cab runs in stereo (?????), and you have two speaker cables going into the cab, thereby creating the 2ohms resistance and giving 1200W?

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    you'd be better off getting two 4 ohm cabs.

the difference between 750W and 1200W through a single cab wouldn't be as significant as you might think.

adding a second cab will also increase the effective surface area of your stack, providing better 'Presence' on stage.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Chances are you won't hear any difference. The cab may carry a 1200w rating but you'll never actually put that much into it. Between displacement limited power and power compression 600w would be a generous estimate of its actual capacity before farting out.
    +1.

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Don't trust that Behringer to handle all of that power safely.

Get a quality speaker cabinet that can take high wattage and is built sturdy enough to handle all that vibration.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    To answer the original question, no, it won't re-wire to 2.

It could be made with four 4 ohm speakers in series-parallel. With that you can get 1 ohm, 4 ohms, or 16 ohms.

It could be made with four 16 ohm speakers paralleled. In that case you have no meaningful options.

Either way, no option of 2 ohms.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021