1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohmage/wattage in cabinet configurations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PuffusMaximus, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PuffusMaximus

PuffusMaximus

May 31, 2011
    Hi all, I can't seem to find (or just haven't looked hard enough) answers for a couple questions i have about my head and cabinet configurations.
    I have a head that runs 500 watts at 8 ohms, 800 watts at 4, and 1200 at 2. My cabinets are both 4 ohms and rated to 800 watts.
    these are the configuration questions i had
    1. head connected one cab = what ohmage/wattage?
    2. head connected to one cab with the other cab chained to it = what wattage/ohmage?
    3. head connected to both cabs individually = what wattage/ohmage?
    4. dangerous to connect both outputs of the head into both inputs of the cab?

any input is GREATLY appreciated :D

2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    I have to say that 2 Ohms output seems a bit optimistic based on the change from 8 to 4 ohms... Anyway - if you have 2 4 ohm cabs connected to the amp it should be a 2 ohm load. So, you have 1200W potential (if this is correct) from the amplifier. This means 600W in to each cab (assuming they are the same) well within the 800W range for each cab.

With one cab then 600W in to 4 ohms.

If the second cab is chained to it (I presume you don't mean physically) ie daisy chanied from one to another, it would still act as a 2 ohm load, 1200W - you would need a very special lead to connect in series.

Individual connections - same as 1.

Connecting both outputs of the amp to both inputs of the cab is not required. just get a lead with twice the conductor area. Never connect two amps to one cab.

Happy days. :)

3. PuffusMaximus

PuffusMaximus

May 31, 2011
    that's what was listed on the website and in the manual.
    And thank you SO much!

4. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    See if this doesn't help you out as well.
    ManualOhmsdiagram.

5. PuffusMaximus

PuffusMaximus

May 31, 2011
    it did, thank you

6. 1. 4 ohms, 800watts.

2. 2 ohms, 1200 watts (600 watts per speaker cabinet), assuming it is parallel (most likely).

3. 2 ohms, 1200 watts (600 watts per speaker cabinet).

4. No point.

There is a FAQ link at the top of the forum, within that it has answers to such questions (and more), if you are looking for further information.

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    That's the right answer!
    www.enricogaletta.com
    on YouTube
    on Twitter
    Study Bass online with me

8. Wow, those pictures look so good I'd say they were frame worthy.