Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OHMIGOD.. she wants what??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Paul A, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Her indoors, the wife, wants a SAXAPHONE for christmas!!!
    Apparently she's always wanted to learn to play one.
    O.K. I can't really afford a new one, but any recommendations as to what make are good and where the best place (U.K.) to get a secondhand one is would be gratefully welcomed!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    hmm....I used to play trombone and picked one up off of ebay for 60 dollars.

Occassinally some one is selling a decent one for a very nice price.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played for years....

My alto was a late 70's 'Bundy' which was a pretty nice student sax. My Tenor was an early 80's Yamaha and was a couple notches above the Bundy.

I played a friends Alto 'Conn' that was very playable but seemed to honk like crazy... more of a marching then a jazz sax. in the late 80's I tried an other friends 'Bundy 2' and felt it was a POS.

I've thought of picking up a new used Alto in the recent past and liked the used Yamahas I came across.

watch eBay is what I'd do... search the web for reviews of the makes and models that are coming up cheap.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You mean she wants a Saxophone :D

And, doesn't this belong in Miscellaneous?

In the UK, Freeads is a good place :D

I've got a Yamaha Alto (well, it's my sister's technically but she doesn't play it anymore), which we got second hand from the Freeads a few years ago.

5. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Be happy! It's a good thing when the wife wants more Sax :p

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Also, www.thomann.de sells student alto-saxes for under €500, I have no experience about them but I think they are quite cheaply made - as the price suggests too.

Perhaps you could talk her into some different, cheaper instrument like piano.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    like the bass?

:D

9. no not like the bass at all. way more people ditch horns and reeds out of highschool and stuff.

Later,

Drake