Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohms and Cabinet Selection???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Klelewon, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I just bought an SWR SM-500 and am about to buy a new 410 cabinet, either SWR or Aguilar. Which Ohm rating should I pick? 4 or 8 Ohms? The spec indicate the wattage at 4 Ohm is higher than at 8 Ohms. How does this translate into loudness, punch, and cutting through? Or, Does it really matter?

What are your experiences?

Thanks.

Klelewon

2. If you buy an 8 ohm cab, you won't get as much power from your amp, but if you ever need another cabinet, you can buy another 8 ohm cab and run them both from the amp. It won't be as loud as a four ohm cabinet though.

If you buy the 4 ohm cab, you'll get everything the amp can offer, but you won't be able to add another cabinet, you'd have to get a different one altogether, either 2 8 ohm cabs or one bigger 4 ohm cab (like a 8x10, or 6x10 or some other multi-driver cab).

If you think you need room to grow, get the 8 ohm, but if you need the volume now, go with the 4 ohm cab.

read this if you want to know more (lol)

Stay Low,

BT

3. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    BT,

Thanks for the help! The link was great! :D I'll go with the 8 Ohm cabinets. I played through an 8 Ohm EA VL-210 with an iAmp 350. They were more than loud enough!!!

Thanks again. This was enormously helpful!

Klelewon