Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohms and stuff 4 cabs& heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Jun 1, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    alright... i'm new at this stuff,and i am not sure what you can or cannot do... so here are my questions.

if you have a 350W (@4 ohms) or 240W (@8 ohms) cab, can you push a 150 W continuous , 300W program cab at 8 ohms,

Can you push two 200W (8 ohm) cabs at 4 ohms?

Oh yeah and what does 150W continuous , 300W program mean???

Thanks for postin, Evan

2. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    sorry i messed up .... i wrote a 350w......cab. i meant to write head. it's a hartke 3500

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    OK...first things first....

Instead of posting a second time, there is an "Edit/Delete" button above your post. You can click that, and then go back and edit your post to say what you intended for it to say. It's ok that you posted twice this time, just don't let it happen again;)

Now, on to the business....

If I am correct (again, techies, correct me if I'm wrong...I'm still learnin':(), continuous means the actual "continuous" power output of the head...that means at all times, it's putting out AT LEAST this much power. "Program" means the 'peak' output of the head, which in other words is the maximum that it will put out.

So, if I've got my facts straight here, you SHOULD be able to push the 8 ohm/300 watt cab with that head without any problems as long as you don't push too much.

Now that I've rambled, let someone who actually knows what they're talkin' about jump in here:D

4. Hunter got it on the 150W/300W thing.

If you plug in an 8 ohm cab rated at 150Watts it'll work no problem, but if you put max power out of your head (240Watts in this scenario), you could possibly blow the cab.

If you plug in (2) 8 ohm cabs, your amp sees a total of 4 ohms (8 // 8 = 4 ohms), and puts out 350Watts, and the 2 cabs divide it up equally (exactly equal if they are identical, not so exactly if they are real different) and each gets 175Watts. The cabs you say are rated at 200Watts, so you're cool. So that scenario is even better. Of course you are only putting out that 350Watts at full volume. You'll be louder cause you're putting out more power into more speakers.

That's how it fits together. The amp puts out the power, the speakers have an impedance and a power rating. The maximum amount of power the amp puts out is determined by the amp design and the total impedance it sees. And the power limits of the speakers tell you how much they can handle before blowing.

Chris

5. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thanks SO MUCH... that cleared a lot of ..stuff up for me.... oh yeah and i like the name..