Ohms and Wattage and Speaker! Oh my!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedBassMan, May 7, 2002.

1. I have a question, my amp runs 150 watts at 4 ohms. If I ran this through a 4 ohms 15'', would i get less volume then an 8 ohms 4x10?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Depends on the cab. If the cab is +3dB SPL more efficient, it will likely sound as loud or louder. Considering that a 4x10 has a generally more defined sound and wider dispersion, I think it will seem louder.
  3. There is a Dr. Sound article on Carvin.com that is titled the same as your thread is. It will be very useful for you to read that. As far as I am aware, the wattage rating on your amp just means that's its maximun capability. Watts= power, not necessarily volume, though. The more speakers you have, the louder you will be because sound is all about moving air. More speakers= more air moved. The 4x10 should be louder than the 1x15. But it still depends on the sound you are looking for.
  4. Thank you very much everybody, this definatley helps me out. Lo-z, where about in RI are you from? I live in Little Rhodie myself
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Jamestown. My studio is in Providence. I play for "Breakup Sex". We do everyting from James Brown to English Beat, plus originals.
  6. Jamestown, cool. I live right over the bridge in NK. I'm 16, and my drummer Aaron lives in Jamestown.