Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohms mismatch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ClashCityRocker, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi,i got an alltube svt 2pro,and ive just made a mistake today i wanted to know if it could of damaged my rig.I used to have two 4ohms cabs so i put the head on 2 ohm,Just recently sold a cab but i forgot to switch the head back to 4 ohms.I jammed maybe 45 minutes with the volume real loud.Could it have damaged somthing???thanx

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Happened to me too, when I still had my Ampeg V4-B. It was fine, although, it's not recommended of course.

3. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah as soon as i saw there was a ohms mismatch i imediatly changed the amp back to 4ohms,id like to know if i could of damaged something in the amp or just wear off the tubes little faster

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It wont hurt a tube amp to play into an impedence that is too low. It can damage the output transformer to play into an impedence that is too high such as an open circuit like no speaker hooked up at all. Never play a tube output amp without the speaker hooked up.

A solid state output is just the opposite. Too low an impedence, such as a dead short across the speaker output will fry the output transistors.

You have nothing to worry about.

Pkr2

5. But didn't he have a tube amp with an impedence high hooked up? That's what you said is bad.

6. This is true, but you can mismatch by around 2x or 1/2 the rating of the output tap without any worries. If he had a 16 Ohm box connected there might be cause for concern.

7. From all that I've read, that kind of miss match isn't good for a tube amp but is not enough of a screw up to do any damage.

8. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    thanx for your replies i dont have to worry about getting it checked out,still have 4and a half years waranty on it but i wanted to make sure cause these amps dont come cheap

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    If anything did happen to it i doubt the Warranty would have covered it.