1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ohms question please help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fendergk88, May 2, 2010.

1. fendergk88

fendergk88

May 2, 2010
    hey guys im new to this forum and amp tech stuff som please dont haze me. i currently have a gallien-krueger backline 600 solid state amp head with 300w and 4 ohm impedence. ive had this amp for a bout 5 years now i think and igot it at the same time brand new with my cab wich is a gallien-krueger backline 4x10 400w 8 ohm impedence recently one of my speakers blew and ive been searching online and cant get a good answer. but my question is is that a safe set up besides the blown speaker, like can u run a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cabinet? and remember the head is solid state

2. fendergk88

fendergk88

May 2, 2010
    ok i see it say minimum 4. what would cause my speaker 2 blow? cause i was thinking about just buying a new cab being that this one is kind of bottom of the line gk.

3. Nope, over driving bottom of the like speakers with EQ heavy on the bass side would do that. The "4 ohm min" on the head is to let you know not to hook up two 4 ohm, four 8 ohm or a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab at the same time to the amp head (see the FAQ in the stickies to see how speaker impedance numbers subtract/add).

Two 4 ohm cabs= 2 ohms, below the 4 ohm minimum rating, 8 ohms is above the 4 ohm minimum and just fine.

4. fendergk88

fendergk88

May 2, 2010
    ok so as long as i use a one 4 ohm cab or 1 8 ohm cab ill be ok?

5. One 4 ohm, two 8ohm (this becomes 4 ohms combined) or one 8 ohm cab.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You can use

ONE 4 Ohm Cab
    ONE or TWO 8 Ohm Cabs - the power divides, so it equals 4 Ohms - 1/2 to each.

AND - speakers sometimes just blow. If it happens again, look at your playing.

7. fendergk88

fendergk88

May 2, 2010
    im looking into the new gk mbx410 is that bottom of the line cheap ****? also ashdown mag 410 t just lookin 4 feedback

8. MBX is replacing the RBX IIRC, it is not a BackLine (entry level) cab. NEO410 would be REAL nice also.

9. fendergk88

fendergk88

May 2, 2010
    yea its very inexpensive so i thought id ask im trying to try one out i likes my backline while it lasted so i bet id like the mbx but i wanna buy something that wll last and i like to use lots of bass so idont wana blow the speakers out lol

10. Check out Avatar speaker cabinets. They are priced right and lots of folks on here swear by them.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/