1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Dec 13, 2001.

  1. mclaud

    mclaud Guest

    Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon

    i have a warwick 411 pro (4x10, 600 watts, 8 ohm ), and some salesman told me that i could turn easily my 8 ohm cabinet into a 4 ohm cabinet.

    any of you have an idea on this!!
  2. If by "easy" he means replacing the loudspeakers, then yes, it's easy ;)
  3. Suburban


    Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, some cabs, very many german cabs(!), have a switch somewhere to change impedance.
    Or you can do it yourself, by placing an 8ohm impedance in parallel with the 8 ohm cab. Could be hard to find one, though...
  4. Changing a 4x10 from 8 to 4 ohms is not possible without changing the drivers, believe me. A switch could give you a choice of either 8 or 2 ohms, or 16 or 4 ohms.

    Putting a resistor in parallel isn't going to help a tiny bit, because half of the power would go to the resistor, and your total volume would drop. Besides, it would have to be one hell of a big fat resistor to take a few hundred watts. Sounds more like an electric heater.
  5. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    You could turn it into 4 ohms by buying another 8 ohm cabinet! ;)
  6. :mad: Screw all salesmen!

    When I was a very young and very naive bass player, I went to guitar center to ask some questions about cabs. I was playing through an Acoustic 2x15 at the time (which I wish I still had) and wanted something smaller and cheap. He told me to go home and cut my cab into two 1x15's and proceded to lecture me on why. I walked out not only mad and confused, but without a new cab.

    Lesson? Don't listen to salesman! This forum is a much better and reliable resource for young (and not so young) players.

    (he jumps down from the soap box and runs away)
  7. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang offers (or offered?) a transformer that turned a 8 Ohm cab into 4 Ohm and vice versa.

    But I'm not sure if it'd be able to handle 600W or more.
  8. Suburban


    Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Tech Soundsystems have a 8/4/2 ohms switch on many models. Glockenklang offers it, at least as option, on some.
    Yes, you would need a beefy resistor:D But as JMX pointed out, there are some who offer such gear, if you're not an electrician yourself.

    OTOH, what's the use? If your cab ain't up to your standards - just get another one (or more), that does!
  9. Tech Soundsystems have options on some cabinets, but they are not switches, they are purchase options. Only two of them (the 115 DC's) have a switch 4/8 ohms, and only one (the 118 DCMT) has a 2/4/8 ohms switch. The "DC" stands for Double Coil, they have two coils which can be used in parallel, series or just a single one. These kind of speakers are very rare.
  10. Suburban


    Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Suddenly the Ohms question turned into an Ooops response. Sorry for not reading properly.
    And thanks for the correction said with a slight blush...
  11. No prob, but hey, well, I didn't meant to be a know-it-all. My post looked kinda... "not nice". Sorry bout that.

Share This Page