Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jun 3, 2003.

1. If I bought the epfani 310T how would I reach 5.3 ohms? What I am saying is that if I had an amp that is rated for 4 and 8 ohm operation, would it be safe to hook this cabinet up to it? That is my confustion. I don't know if it is safe to run inbetween marked resistance, I know you can only go so low in ohms before you kill your amp but what about inbetween the marked settings? Also How do you know how many watts it would produce at 5.3 ohms? ohms law?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd assume that 5.3 would be fine, if your head can play on a 4Ohm load, generally you can go higher than the rated ohms.

IIRC, an 8 and 2 ohm load would equate out to a 5.3 ohm load, if in parallel.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    To calculate resistance in parallel, add the inverse of all resistances and take the inverse of the sum. In CE's example, 1/8 + 1/2 = 5/8 or .625, the inverse of which is 1.6 ohms. When adding resistances in parallel the total resistance will be somewhat less than the lowest individual resistance.

4. JimboBass

JimboBass

May 23, 2003
    You are safe as long as you don't go below the minimum impediance of your amp. If you have a tube amp, set the switch to the closest impediance below the cabinet's impedance (If the cabinet is 5.3 ohms set the switch on 4 ohms).

Brett at Epifani

5. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Precisely Ohms law.

oops..sorry about that..P over I R

SO in ascii it would look like

P
    ---
    I|R

Current out times impedence = Watts.

6. 5.3 ohms would be no problem for most SS amps as long as they can run at 4 ohms. If you are using a tube amp, run it from the 8 ohm tap and not the 4 ohm tap. Tube amps would rather see (higher amp --> Lower Cab ) than the opposite.