Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohms rating for speakers in a Peavey 1820?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Mar 16, 2006.

1. So I have an 1820 that's rated at 4 ohms full range, but I'm wondering, are these 8 ohm speakers, or what? There are 3 speakers...are the 10's 8 ohms, and the 18" 4ohms...I'm confused because none of the speakers are marked...:confused:
    Thanks!
    C7

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I believe the 10's are 8 ohms and the 18 is 4 ohms, as you said. They have an internal crossover at 125hz I believe.

3. Bummer, I was hoping that 18 was 8ohms, but I figured as much.:meh:
    I'm thinking about swapping out the 10's that are in there, Scorpions I think, with some Eminence NEO 10's, and maybe porting the top portion of the cab...
    Thanks bro.
    C7

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    So .... what are you trying to accomplish with your mods? Is the goal to abandon the crossover and have 2 fullrange sections in the same box?

If I recall correctly the 10's are in a very small internal box (like maybe .5cu ft per driver). I don't think it will be big enough to do much good as far as getting lows out of a 10. I know from experience that to get the internal parts in that cab changed you will be use a saw and/or hatchet- the wood is inset to other pieces and then held with 2" staples and glue. I modded one of the 15/8 models to just a straight 15" cab a few years ago. It will be a one-way trip.

The Scorpions are pretty good at what they do, 100hz and up. The 18 is pretty sensitive for an 18, but don't expect much past 800hz or so. They work together well, but seperately you will need some serious changes.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    There's little good reason to go full range with the tens (it's been years since I've played with one but if I recall those were sealed-cab and not designed to go low anyway), and it's arguable whether you'll gain much by running the 18 full-range; you'd end up with maybe a few extra dB but also another point source reproducing the same frequencies, and because of that, phasing/smear issues.

6. The goal of any mod, for me, is to force small third world countries into willful compliance and servitude, by scrambling their souls with super high volume low frequency waves. I need the 10's to convey my "message".:ninja:

The reason I was hoping the 18 was an 8ohm speaker is, I have a 2x10 and a 4x10 that would LOVE to sit on an 18 (they're both female), so I was thinking about mounting it in it's own larger, tuned enclosure. The 1820's design is pure compromise...and yeah, the box that the 10's are in is pretty small, but it's also sealed; I'm thinking that I may get better performance from it if I port it...
    C7

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    On the porting, not much gain to be had. If you really want to dominate there are 18 drivers nowdays that can handle incredible amounts of power (like 1200 watts RMS) in both 4 and 8 ohms that can go lower in that size of cab (might need to re-port to get full advantage of this). Some of them are Neodymium, which can shave some weight too. With a lot of watts to the low side you'd need some modern 10" driver designs to keep up ; }

8. I don't need more power handling, and the 18 sounds pretty good in that box, it doesn't need to go any lower than it does. I'd like the 10's to sound better in full range, because my head isn't bi-amp. If I had a bi-amp rig we may not be having this conversation...
    C7