1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohms, wattage, volume question (GK content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 13, 2010.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Guys….I have a question for you (GK specific).

Would there be a difference in volume between 300watts at 4ohms and 340watts at 8ohms? I would think that the 340watts at 8ohms would be a tiny bit louder or a least cleaner.

Here’s the thing. I know the GK 800RB is really loud for 300watts into 4ohms….heard nothing but good about this amp. I have the chance to trade into a GK 1001RB (mark I). I’d be running this at 8ohms most of the time (amp rated for 340watts at 8ohms) into an Avatar DeltaLF 2X12 (8ohms). I would run this amp at 4ohms when needed (540watts) but would stick with 8ohms to cut down on cabinet carting.

I’ve owned GKs before (1001RB-II and the MB2-500) so I know their wattage ratings are pretty conservative…they always seem to be louder than other amps in the same wattage class. I guess I’m just worried GK 340watts into 8ohms might not cut it? I’m not in a super loud band and I’m currently using a 90s V-4B that’s loud enough but definitely not clean enough.

Your thoughts / opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Barry

2. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    I think you're looking at apples and oranges...you say you are running one particular 8ohm cab, so you need to compare those wattages. The 800RB is rated @ 200W@8ohms, the GK 1001RB is rated 340W@8ohms.

You will hear a difference between those maximums, but it won't be twice as loud. But it will be louder.....

3. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    With the second scenario ( 340W @ 8 ohm ) you can still add a second cab and then it should bump up into the 500W range. The first scenario is the most output you'll get out of that head.

Having the overhead freedom of extra wattage is good IMO. In closing I would think the output you've described would be similar.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Apples and oranges though is exactly what I'm asking. I used to run a 4ohm single cabinet and know that 400 to 500 GK watts was most definitely loud enough. Now I'm running two 8ohm cabinets but don't want to lug both around if I don't have to so the question is still would there be a difference in volume between 300watts at 4ohms and 340watts at 8ohms?

Thanks!
    Barry

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks....the 2nd scenario is what I'm looking at and I will have the benefit of adding a 2nd cab for the full wattage (I just don't want to lug it around if I don't have to).
    Thx!
    Barry

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I guess the easiest way to put the question is.....is there a difference in volume between the same wattage at different ohm loads? yeah.....that's the question.

Thanks!
    Barry

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No. The load does change the wattage, but the result is the rating they have printed. So you can (for this purpose) ignore that the cab is 8 ohms, because 300W will sound exactly the same as 340W. You will not hear any extra clarity or anything else. The same, as far as human ears are concerned.

8. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    Now we're getting complicated.... ;-)

IMO even given the same wattage, running two 4x10s is going to seem louder than running the same wattage into one 4x10, for example....

There is basically zero audible difference between 300W and 340W.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks....that's what I figured (zero audible difference). So a single cab and head at 4ohms and a single cab and head at 8ohms both running the same wattage would basically sound the same volume wise then right?

Thanks!
    Barry

10. You'd be fine with either or.

I use a 400rb into an 8ohm (sometimes) and i never need to reeeeeally crank it to be heard.

I'd test out both the 800rb and 1001 to see which tone sounds better to you and buy based off of that.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    GK specific answer. I would do an 800 in decent shape before a 1001 RB I - in a heartbeat - if you were talking an RB II, that might be a differnt story. The RB I's aren't the same thing and the 800 is a fantastic amp.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, guys!

Can always count on TB for informative answers.

I appreciate it.

Barry