Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohms, watts question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Mar 8, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Peavey Bam 210 rated at 350w @ 4ohms and 500 w @ 2ohms. If I were to add a 15' inch extension cab rated at 8 ohms what would that break down to? Is it safe to do or is it essential to have a 4ohm cab for the extension? :confused:

2. The two 10's in your combo equal 4 ohms. If you add an 8 ohm extension, your total impedance will be 2.6 ohms. If you add a 4 ohm extension, your total impedance will be 2 ohms. Either way you're still within the two ohm minimum specs. Go for it! :hyper:

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It would be better to get a 4 ohm cabinet if the internal speakers are 4 ohms. You can think of electricity as being lazy. If an electron has a choice between a 4 ohm load and an 8 ohm load, the majority will go for the 4 ohm because it is easier. So with an 8 ohm extension (all things being equal) the internal speakers will get the bulk of the power. With a 4 ohm external cab, each should get half.

I would recommend trying the combo with the external cab if possible. You won't hurt the amp and you can see if you like the sound.

4. Each of the 2 speakers in your combo are 8 ohm speakers. Their conbined impedence is 4. If you add another 8 ohm extension the conbined impedence will be 2.66. Each speaker being 8 ohms will get an equal share of the power 1/3. Therefore the 2 speakers in the combo will get 2/3'ds and the extension will get 1/3. If you were to get a 4 ohm extension speaker then the combined impedence would be 2 and each of the combo speakers would get 1/4th and the 4 ohm extension would get 1/2.

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the great info. ;)