1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohms, watts question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Mar 8, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a Peavey Bam 210 rated at 350w @ 4ohms and 500 w @ 2ohms. If I were to add a 15' inch extension cab rated at 8 ohms what would that break down to? Is it safe to do or is it essential to have a 4ohm cab for the extension? :confused:

2. The two 10's in your combo equal 4 ohms. If you add an 8 ohm extension, your total impedance will be 2.6 ohms. If you add a 4 ohm extension, your total impedance will be 2 ohms. Either way you're still within the two ohm minimum specs. Go for it! :hyper:

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It would be better to get a 4 ohm cabinet if the internal speakers are 4 ohms. You can think of electricity as being lazy. If an electron has a choice between a 4 ohm load and an 8 ohm load, the majority will go for the 4 ohm because it is easier. So with an 8 ohm extension (all things being equal) the internal speakers will get the bulk of the power. With a 4 ohm external cab, each should get half.

I would recommend trying the combo with the external cab if possible. You won't hurt the amp and you can see if you like the sound.

4. Each of the 2 speakers in your combo are 8 ohm speakers. Their conbined impedence is 4. If you add another 8 ohm extension the conbined impedence will be 2.66. Each speaker being 8 ohms will get an equal share of the power 1/3. Therefore the 2 speakers in the combo will get 2/3'ds and the extension will get 1/3. If you were to get a 4 ohm extension speaker then the combined impedence would be 2 and each of the combo speakers would get 1/4th and the 4 ohm extension would get 1/2.

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the great info. ;)