Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OHMS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adashbass, Nov 14, 2005.

1. adashbass

adashbass Guest

Nov 10, 2005
    Why is it that the Warwick 3.2 Profet is rated at 4ohms while all their cabs are rated 8ohms?
    Surely this will damage the cab?

2. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    I assume the 3.2 profet is an amplifier. You must understand, USUALLY that rating on an amplifiers head is it's MINIMUM impedence rating as well as it's OPTIMUM rating of output power. It's easier, (cheaper) to build an amp that will put out 500 watts into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms. The cabinets are rated at 8 ohms as a standard rating. You can easily "double up" cabinets for maximum sound output. Two 8 ohm cabinets are HALVED in impedence, so two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Oh brother . . . .

Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum list.

4. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

Please explain???

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    AMPS Section FAQ

This is among the top threads listed in the amps forum. It will be there until one of the moderators remove it (if that should ever happen)

There's a lot of good info there, feel free to check it, it may solve your problems faster than waiting on people to reply.

It also contains frequently asked questions (hence FAQ)...after seeing some questions multiple times, some members get tired of answering them.

There is also a search funtion on the site that is also immensly helpful.

6. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005

Thank you snow man...I did not know that.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Not a problem.

Welcome to talkbass.

Odds are, your perception of the world of the Bass Guitar will be changed forever.

There is much to learn, and many great players to hear and learn from.

But remember....everything on here is just comprised of people's personal opinions.

Your best option is to play something yourself.

I wish there were a perfect bass and amp....cause I'd like to own it......