1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pizzicato16, Mar 5, 2008.

1. pizzicato16

pizzicato16

Jan 24, 2008
    Baltimore
    Ohm's law states that in an electrical circuit, the current passing through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference (i.e. voltage drop or voltage) across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

(wikipedia)

Basically, I can't wrap my brain around impedance, 4 ohms, 8 ohms, what does it all mean? I can run a cabinet at X wattage at Y ohms, or W ohms at Z wattage. I just don't get it.

2. Usually your amp will have a rating at how many watts your head will put out at a certain resistance, or ohm. If your amp says it runs 350 watts at 8 ohms and 480 watts at 4 ohms, that means that if you run your amp into an 8 ohm cabinet then your amp will put out 350 watts. If you run your amp into a 4 ohm cab or into 2 8 ohm cabs then your amp will put out 480 watts, since 2 8 ohm cabs running parallel work together to make 4 ohms of resistance.