Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Jun 23, 2003.

1. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    ok if i got an 8ohm cab and then a 4ohm cab and im using a peavy nitrobass head (450 Watts RMS into 2 Ohms, 300 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms, 170 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms )
    how much power am i gonna get out of it?

i ask this because i am able to get a 8ohm 410 peavy cab quite cheap from a friend

thanks to any1 who replies i just aint really sure where it would fit in since all ive ever seen done is s 4ohm cabs or s 8ohm cabs...or would my idea even work?
  2. An 8 ohm with a 4 ohm in parallel is 2.66 ohms. You will be outputting more than 300 but less than 450. Probably something like 375-400 watts.
  3. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    ah rite ok thanks i wasnt sure if it would work out exact or if it would just give out the full at 2 ohms but for the price im gettin the 8ohm cab at i mite as well just pick it up
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    just be aware that the watts won't be evenly split if the cabs have different nominal impedance. If it turns out your 4 ohm cab is louder, this is why. But you never know till you try it out.

Is it possible to set it all up and try it before you buy it?
  5. moose54

May 29, 2003
    spot on. if you are getting 400W one can 8ohm and one cab 4ohm you will get 8/12=66.66% of the power over the 4ohm cab. so thats 260W or there abouts. make sure the 4ohm cab will handel the 260 what. also be sure the amp will happily run at 4 ohm.
  6. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    if the cab isnt sold by the time i get the cash together to send off for the nitrobass then yer i can so im probably just gonna wait and hold on the guy said he would tell me if he got another offer so i could still buy it so we shall see what happens....