Oi, Mike N, we have a mustang in disrepair!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    1964 1/2,

Fuel is leaking from the fuel line right where it should be entering the engine, thus it wont start unless you gun the throttle....

How hard is this to fix?
  2. my name is mike n...
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It could possibly be just loose. These are easy to fix, though. Why don't you post a pic of the area, and I can give a more specific answer. The easiest way is to try tightening a bit, then if that doesn't work, cut the line and put a new fitting into the carb, and use a fule line splice. You may even want to put a see-thru filter on there if you do happen to have to splice.
  4. Solution, light the fuel on fire.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    A picture would really help here. If it's just the line, tighten or repace it (like was already suggested).

But, if the fuel is spilling over from the top of the carb (and not the line itself) then it sounds like the float may be stuck or may have sunk in the carb, and now fuel is spilling over out of the bowl vent, and going straight down the throat of the carb and flooding the engine (thus the reason you have to "gun the throttle" to get it running).

The fix? Often I've seen a small piece of crud get stuck in the needle and seat, preventing the float from rising and shutting off fuel flow. So what I would do first is find a section of fuel line on the car that is rubber and pinch it off. Next, start the car and run it until it runs the carb dry (may take 30 seconds or so). Doing this will drop the float all the way to the bottom of the carb and totally uncover the needle and seat. Then, un-pinch the fuel line and crank the car over. The incoming fuel should wash away any crap from the needle and seat, and allow them to seal one the float rises.

If this works, change the fuel filter and have fun with your 'Stang.

If it doesn't work, you probably have a float that has become saturated with fuel and will no longer float. The fix here is to remove the carb and have it rebuilt.

Good luck.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

After a meeting between the myself and the other men on the street, we determined this was the problem, and shall fix it...uh... er... later.

thanks all.