1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oi, what a mess (Formerly insane frontman)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 1, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok, here's how it's goin' Mr. Food Monster...

I am the only member of my band who hasn't been friends since high school. They were looking for a bassist, found me on myspace, we jammed, I'm in the band.

Chill dudes, all around, don't even fit the metal persona, we kinda look metal, but all really laid back. Or so I thought.

The frontman for my band has always struck me as a timid fellow, but back in the day, they were in a Grindcore band, and he was the singer and acted absolutely insane. I don't know, I heard he use to be drunk/on drugs and break ****. He played on campus, and aparently busted through one of the walls or something, all sorts of crazy stories that I can barely believe from such a chill dude.

I didn't know this until recently. NOW it makes sense, at first I thought, we sound pretty good, why can't we get gigs around here? Why won't the student art league let us play on campus? All of it's coming together.

There isn't much I can do about it, hopefully people will come to know him as a more grown up guy now, and we can get some out of town gigs or something... I don't even know.

I don't know if I'm seeking advice, or just need to vent or what, I'm not bailing on the band, but it's like we've been blacklisted from a few local music spots.

2. Oberg

Oberg

Apr 10, 2005
    that dosen´t sound so good, maby you could try "sobering" up and maby better your "rep".

3. Get him to shape up, cut his hair, shave, get an eyebrow wax and a manicure, clean himself up and change his name.

Then start doing jazz gigs. No one will ever know you guys are the same band.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

But that's the thing, NOW, he's totally cool. He'll even admit he wasn't right in the head back then. From what I've heard in some cases, I don't blame people for not giving him a second chance, but it still kinda sucks.

ROTW has the right idea, we're going to change our name from King Bowman to The Lord Doughnut Trio plus one

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    A bad reputation is hard to erase. People don't forget stuff like that. You'll need to concentrate on new places, out-of-town places, and places with new management. Or some other band.

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I think you've got three options:

1) Get a new singer
    2) change his look and keep him a secret.
    3) Smarten him up, take him out to the venues, get him to apologise, and ask for forgivenes. From there maybe you can work out a limited trial with a few places - maybe you play for free as a support, and they can check he's clean before he goes on stage.

Ian

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The first bad idea with this band was naming it King Bowman, it's his last name, and then people already know him and his past.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah yes, -core bands. :D

9. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    What to do:
    1) You learn how to sing (for a bit), for a couple of gigs or so, while he plays the guitar in the back near the drums.
    2) Pull a Slipknot/Gwar/Mushroomhead ( <-- those are bands) and wear masks :D

What not to do:
    Give him this T-Shirt ---> http://store.northshoreshirts.com/shhawhyoupan.html

10. Replace your singer with the same dude with a hip new nickname like "Snake" or "Raspberry" and ONLY refer to him as his nickname whilst talking about this band. Noone will know.