Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. the other day i was overhearing to kids talk about a some kinda music called Oi. ive searched on napster and found a bunch of songs that have Oi in the title. its like a hardcore punk kinda stuff. i downloaded "oi oi oi" by dropkick murphys and "oi to the world" by the vandals and both are pretty cool. can someone give me more info on Oi?
  2. Oi is basically punk on speed thats all there is to it
  3. Yeah, I love all the Oi bands. My fav sirt is black and says "Oi, Oi, Oi" on it. Very few people understand the meaning.
  4. what are some Oi bands? right now im downloading a song by Oi Polloi, and im searching for some more oi stuff, im really starting to dig some of this stuff.

[Edited by jrthebassguy on 01-27-2001 at 10:25 PM]
  5. try A.F.I. and the dropkick murphys
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    "Papa said Oy,when I get that boy,I'm gonna stick him in the House of Detention." Paul Simon
  7. I am not an Oi fan... and to be honest i dont know much about it.. but i ve been told oi is skinhead music.. oi bands such as the 4skins(great name eh?)are all skinheads and i dont like that kinda stuff.. especially the racist aspects...someone tell me if im wrong here...i know we have some punks here..

8. Oi! oi! oi! is old, waaayy old. Being Australian, it is part of my culture now. People have been chanting at the one day cricket matches "Aussie Aussie Aussie, OI! OI! OI!, Aussie, OI! Aussie Aussie Aussie, OI OI OI!". People have been chanting that since the early 70's.

typical punk, lol got three chords, wow lets get three words too that have already been used so much that it has developed a culture.

9. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I stumbled across some Oi sites a while ago. They revolved around skinheads, their culture, and music. I don't want to generalize, but the attitudes on those sites I saw seemed pretty heavy-duty to me.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm afraid this is right. The OI movement in the UK is pretty old and dead now. But it was definitely a Fascist, Racist thing - hence the "Blackshirts" comment - reference to Oswald Moseley.

They were closely associated with the movement that wanted to send all immigrants "back home" - patently ridiculous as a lot of their targets had been born in the UK and there were quotes about "rivers of blood" unless we drove them back into the sea. Sickening stuff!

This was one of the main drivers for movements in the UK like "The Anti Nazi League" and "Rock against Racism". I went on several demos for this cause and the benefit gigs were usually led by the Clash and a bill which had a mixture of different acts like Reggae and Punk - emphasising the multi-cultural nature of Britain. At points it got to running battles in the streets, with the "OI" skinheads trying to disrupt these protests. These same skinheads later tried to disrupt gigs by bands like the Specials and Selecter who had black band members as well as white.

Basically the "OI" movement is "White Supremacist".

Although I kow racism still exists in the UK, I thought we had seen the last of this particular movement and would urge anyone to boycott it.
  11. original skinheads were NOT racist, and a great many skinheads today are not racist. unfortunately at some point a group of them took up racist activities, and people simply associated it with how they looked.

moreover, racism has absolutely NO bearing on "oi" music. to me, oi means anthemic, singalong barroom punk. try these songs:

rancid - avenues and alleyways, roots radicals
    dropkick murphys - fightstarter karaoke, the gang's alll here
    bouncing souls - bullying the jukebox
    NOFX - the brews (note: do not construe this song as anti-semitical; two of the band members are jewish. it's all in fun.)

12. Yes, the original skinheads were not racist, and just look at groups like the S.H.A.R.P.S (skinheads against racial prejudice), these are the original skinheads. They were all for unity and against political oppression. I suggest downloading a song called : Skinhead, and i think its by operation ivy, but im not 100% sure on that. It explains how (some) skinheads evolved into racists,and that they should look back at their roots, and unite again. But it seems to me, that Oi music does have many roots in these negative views, but of course not all of it!..and i also do not like to generalize about people or groups.. this thread has clued me in to a bit i didnt know about Oi, and it seems that much of the message in it is about ones perception of the music.
  13. Unfortunately, it does not mean that to a large amount of the fans of the music and the bands themselves. Just remember, the infamous Skrewdriver were an Oi! band. Racism does have a good deal to do with a large number of the Oi! bands around today. Not all, but a lot. And I wouldn't really call A Fire Inside, NOFX, Rancid or The Bouncing Souls Oi! bands. Some more pertinent examples would be The Templars, Oi Polloi, The Business, Combat 84, Those Unknown, etc.
  14. Anyone who thinks that all skinheads are racists are horribly ignorant. Oi music is some great stuff, Roots Radicals is a great song, and the whole skinhead/punk movement is AGAINST racism. Its pretty sad that so many people associate skinheads with racism, thats why I stopped worrying about what people think. I love Oi! bands, and not because theyre racists, cause its great music.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you bothered to read my original post carefully - you will see that I wasn't labelling "all" skinheads just this movement. The OI movement was definitely a racist group in the UK in the 70s - I was there - I was on the demos and they were definitely violent "white supremacists". Now you can fool yourselves all you like, but this was what it was about. Some skinheads were into "black" music and were part of multi-cultural movements and bands, but this was about the opposite and I don't think anybody in the US can appreciate the political atmosphere in the UK in the 70s if you weren't there. Just ask memebers of punk bands like the Clash what this was all about and you will probably get a violent reaction.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Matthew is right - I must say that I thought this was long gone and we were well rid of it - the 70s bands were definitely racist "white supremacists" and everything about them was sickening. If there are any "copyists" around today they may well have nothing to do with this, but I still think it's in very poor taste. Why celebrate a violent,racist movement - it's the very worst musical movement I can remember in 30 years and highly offensive to anyone who was in Britain in the 1970s.

As Matthew points out skrewdriver admitted in the 80s that they were involved with the Neo-Nazi movement to repatriate all black people in England - just do a search on them using any internet search engine and you will get mountains of right-wing hate and racist propoganda. I know that in the US you love "freedom of speech" - but to me this sort of stuff is the best argument against it that I know!

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 01-30-2001 at 05:43 AM]
  17. acousticdave

Dec 29, 2000
    Some good stuff can be found on compilations like Oi! Chartbusters. The Anti-Heroes were a great band from Georgia (check out their record 'That's Right'). just say no to hate.