Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil finish on mahogany neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DrEvilBeer, Jul 31, 2002.

1. DrEvilBeer

DrEvilBeer

Aug 15, 2001
    Honolulu, HI
    I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this, but here it goes...

I have a 5 piece mahogany-maple neck that I'd like to finish only I have no experience in finishing what-so-ever. I'd like to finish it with some type of oil finish (I don't like gloss finishes). It looks like there are "grain holes" (not sure what they're called) in the mahogany so I assume I need to fill these in some how (with some type of oil based furniture filler I assume) and then go over that with some type of oil finish, like tung oil.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could just point me in the right direction. I read through a few old threads and I get the general idea of how to tung oil a bass body and neck, I'm just not sure what to do about the "open grain", if that makes sense.

Grazie!

2. I am not sure how porous the mahogany is, but on my bass, which has a wenge neck (read: very porous), I am not using grain filler. Just tung oil over the sanded wood. To me it looks more natural.

Your best bet on what grain filler would work best would be to ask at the store when you buy the oil. They should know what would go well with the tung oil.

Geoff

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I agree with Geoff on this, no need for the filler.
    The neck will still feel smooth and have a nice natural look.

4. DrEvilBeer

DrEvilBeer

Aug 15, 2001
    Honolulu, HI
    Thanks! I'll try just sanding it down really fine and applying the tung oil. Appreciate the quick response.