Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil finish question(s)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Viking, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I have finished 3 bass bodies, 2 with tung oil and 1 with danish oil using the wet sanding technique. They all feel nice and slick but when you look at them, some areas of the body have more gloss than others. How do you get a more even appearance? Do you sand the surface to take the sheen off or do you keep applying more oil until it's all glossy?

Do some oils produce more even results (like Tru oil ?) I kept sanding until I was happy with the feel but it would be even better to have a more uniform appearance, preferably on the shiny side.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. I did the danish oil deal and used Minwax paste wax to finish it off. It looks consistantly semi gloss.

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I do a final wet sanding using Howard Products "Feed-N-Wax". It is a combination of caranuba wax, bees wax, and orange oil. I wet sand it in using 600 grit paper. Wipe off the excessive, let it sit for a day, then apply a regular coat of the Feed-N-Wax the next day following the directions on the container.

You can buy Feed-N-Wax at any Home Depot. I would suppose any similar product would work well, as long as it doesn't have silicon in it. I've tried several different ones, including the Watco Satin Finishing wax, but the Howards Feed-N-Wax smokes `em.

4. Thanks guys. My local Home Depot has the Minwax but not the Howard's (I live in Canada). I'm going to South Carolina next month, I'll check a Home Depot there.

Lee Valley Tools is a 10 minute drive from here and they carry a product called orange wax. It's intended for cutting boards, salad bowls, etc. and contains caranuba wax, bees wax, and citrus oils. I might give that a try. It's a hard paste wax. Is Howard's Feed-N-Wax soft (since you mentioned wet sanding)?

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It is soft- it comes in a bottle.