Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil finish to gloss??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 23, 2005.

1. First off this should probably be in the Luthiers forum but i figured there would be more hits in here and its pretty relevant. So i am looking into a Warwick Corvette Pro 5 and it is an oil finish and i was wondering if there is any way to change this into a gloss finish?
    Thanks in advance for any info,
    Dave

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you use an orange oil as a cleaner then have at it with naptha or lacquer thinner you can put pretty much anything over the top of it. A shelac based french polish would work as would lacquer.

Mineral spirits can leave a whitish residue that is difficult to eliminate, but that is a decent prep solvent as well.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Have you just seen it? Most music stores do not tend to the basses they have in the store room! God only knows how long its been since anyone has waxed the poor thing! There has been a warwick infinity at a local store here in town that i know hasnt had a wax job in like a year! I even told them that if they bought the wax which they dont even sell i would wax it because i just feel sorry for it! I think they know that i will probably sooner or later buy the poor thing and wax it! It can make a huge diff! Few layers of wax with a awsome polish job can loo great!

4. Ahh, so i see. Its looking pretty dull so that kind of makes sense that it could not have been waxed. Ill check into that.
    Thanks,
    Dave

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah ihave yet to see a warwick in shop that had a good wax job! Are local warwick dealer doesnt even have warwick wax in the store to buy if you bought a warwick! Just plain old idiots!

6. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    heh, revival of an old thread lol, sorry...

I too is thinking of the same idea with my Warwick ASH corvette in oil red finish. I am located in the UK, i am thining of sending the bass to SIMS custom and just getting a clear laquer gloss finish over the oil finish for £150. Is this a good idea or not? Does oil finish need special preparations done before laquering? Like stripping the oil off etc...

Cheers all! ;)

7. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I applied a wipe- on polyurathene over a tung oil finished Carvin guitar kit body once and it came out real nice without any problem adhering to the tung oil. I first used steel wool and some laquer thinner to prime it and get rid of any lemon oil residue.