Oil finish vs Gloss finish (damge) question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 4, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    Just wondering if there is going to be much of a difference damage wise.

I think I like the Oil finishes better, but I am really picky about scratches etc...I think the gloss will hold up to the abuse better, even though the scratches may show up a little more.

In my experience, the $1500 dinner table with the oil finish dents easily!]

Any experience?

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've never been one to worry too much about the odd scratch or ding, but there's pros and cons to both types of finishes. Oil does allow more scuffing than poly, but it's much easier to clear up. You can just sand and re-oil...That's over-simplifying it of course, but it is do-able if you're somewhat capable.

Poly finishes are tougher, but require much more work to repair. Like I said before, scratches or dings don't worry me too much. I take good care of my basses, but I do gig with them after all, and banging about does happen. That being said, I am taking 2 of them out of commission for a month while I do some major repair/upgrades to them...My MIM Jazz Bass and the infamous cheesy ass-ed Hondo. This gutting will also include refinishing them both. I'm thinking about devoting a few web pages to the process. Any interest??