Oil finish.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_tool, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Hey guys.
    I'm sick of my Cort's red finish and I really like natural oil finishes.

Should I just sand back this solid finish, then use a paintbrush or something to apply the oil?
  2. I did this to a Precision some years ago. There are a couple of things you might want to consider -

A lot of the time solid color basses have less-than-optimal woodgrain - they save the prettiest pieces of wood for clear finishes. Also, oil finishes are not as resistant to scratches and dings as hard finishes are.

Having said that, you can remove the finish from your bass and apply oil with a rag, rubbing the oil into the finish. You'll probably need to do it more than once - I heard some really wise person here (I forget who, sorry) say to apply oil finishes

• Once a day for a week
    • Once a week for a month
    • Once a month for a year
    • Once a year forever

That sounded like great advice.

Good luck!

3. Having some woodworking experience I would be careful sanding off a finish! I would say take apart the entire body(which I assume you are going to do already) and find a good stripper to remove the finish. Home Depot carries one of the best on the market. You will kill yourself trying to sand off a finish! And will more than likely damage the body in the process ...

Apply the stipper to the body, let it sit for about 5min and remove with a scraper(first coats) or steel wool(especally the last coats). Do this a couple of times unitl it is clean. Then use Acitone(sp) to get rid of any undesirable color/finish left on the wood.

THEN you can LIGHTLY sand it. It should be in good condition from the factory and need little sanding, but you want to get rid of any scratches etc. Then clean again with Acitone, apply stain, oil, etc ... to get the desired look.

Good luck ... it should come out pretty nice. Post a pic so we can see it ...
  4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I used a heat gun to remove the finish from my Precision. Worked like a dream - the paint blistered loose and could be peeled right off.
    Then I just sanded it lightly and applied one layer of matt clear varnish. I was lucky, the wood looked pretty good.
  5. So I guess you took out the electronics first? Would it be totally necessary to take the bass apart first?
  6. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    So if I were to try this on my bass, would I need to either:

A: Remove the neck.
    B: Remove all the electronics, pickups, etc...
    C: Leave everything, just take the strings off.

And also, would I want to start with the back in case it looks bad?
  7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, I removed everything - neck, bridge, electronics...
    I think that is absolutely necessary; the stripping job is so much easier with nothing in the way, and you won't risk damaging the wiring or other parts.

E.O.M. - that is an idea, of course. I just went ahead, and if I hadn't liked the wood, I would have had it repainted in another colour.

There is more on strip(p)ing in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24174&highlight=striping