Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil finished basses

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 23, 2001.

1. What types of wood work best with oil finishes?

I'm going to build a bass soon and I'm trying to decide whether I want a painted body or oiled body.

Also, what is the difference between Danish oil and tung oil?

Thanks.

2. I'm gettin tung oil on my zebrawood topped DPcustom.:)
    only seen pictures, that was enough for me. cant wait to see it in person.
    on your new bass, go with the oil finish.:D I think they look better IMO.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Count, I believe that this query would be best answered by the regulars in Setup. I am moving the thread there now.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a three year old Rick Turner Electroline, oiled ash, and it looks like I'm getting a DP Custom with amboyna burl top, also with tung oil finish. My other basses are lacquered. The feel of oiled wood is really nice, especially on necks, but wood has less protection.

Don't use oil on really soft woods, otherwise - go for it.

5. Some things to know about oils - First, there are two basic types: hardening and non hardening. Polymerized tung oil (my fave) will harden into a polishable film finish with enough buildup. Other oils like linseed oil don't harden but rather soak in and enhance the wood. Non-film producing oils require more occasional sprucing up to maintain good looks. With film producing oils, you get to a point after full curing that you don't need anything more on top than a good coat of wax.

Boiled linseed oil isn't boiled - it just has petroleum distillate dryers added to it. I wouldn't use it for final finishing of an instrument.