Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oil for cocobolo top?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Henry Cow, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Henry Cow

Henry Cow

Dec 23, 2003
    New Hampsha
    Hi guys, I have owned a Stambaugh bass with a cocobolo top for about a year and a half. The top is looking cloudy even after I removed all of the wax buildup. Will tung or linseed oil fix this? Does cocobolo take a oil finish well?

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Cocobolo very oily and resinous to begin with. Most oil based finishes won't dry over cocobolo because the solvents in the finishes dissolve some of the oils in the wood and you are left with a sticky mess. I have had good luck with Tru Oil drying over just about everything, although I haven't tried it on cocobolo. Maybe wiping the cocobolo with mineral spirits or naptha would remove the cloudy appearance. Usually it is the wax in a finish that causes clouding. Whatever you decide to do, try it in a small area first!

3. Henry Cow

Henry Cow

Dec 23, 2003
    New Hampsha
    Thanks for the reply Woodboy. I did wipe it with mineral spirits to remove the wax. It still is cloudy. This bass has alot of hours on it. Should I try it again with some x-tra fine steel wool? Should I skip the oil and just wax again after it's clean? Thanks

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I am stumped. Hard to tell what is going on without seeing the bass. There has to be some type of finish left on the cocobolo that is cloudy. If you have wiped it with mineral spirits and it still is cloudy, it is doubtful if putting more oil on top will clear it up. Why not get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they recommend?

5. Henry Cow

Henry Cow

Dec 23, 2003
    New Hampsha
    Thanks!

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Now that you've stripped the wax, I would suggest re-waxing it. I would also ask Chris Stambaugh.

7. Henry Cow

Henry Cow

Dec 23, 2003
    New Hampsha
    Thanks, I did and I will.