Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil or Powder for Lube?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by higgi, Mar 7, 2006.

What do you lube your strings with?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2006.
  1. Oil

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Talc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dry

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. I use "Fast Frett" alot. I was wondering if many people used talc instead? New Poll? Oil, Talc, or Dry?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I use the Fast Fret alot too. Good stuff.

I have used Talc in the past help cut down resistence on the back of the neck.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Dry, aka nothing. I've never seen any benefit at all to using a lubricant whilst playing.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    When I need lubrication I wipe my right hand index and middle fingertips on the sides of my nostrils, for the oil there. That's the only kind of lube I use.

5. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    I'm with The Clap. If I use anything at all, it's nose grease. I usually use nothing, though.

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    The natural lubrication is enough for me, baby...
    (I know this sounds kinky, but I do have sweaty palms...)

7. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Should bottle that crap and call it "Ultimate Xtreme Guitar Lube".

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Dry. Relaxation is the key to speed AND clarity, to me.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Nothing here just body oil. I would think adding an oil (fast fret) would attract and collect dirt causing strings to go dead faster.

10. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    uhhh, she only lets me use it on my birthday.......oh wait.......dry as a bone, but my strings do get greasy when one of my guitar players play it, WASH YOUR HANDS!

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I usually use Pennzoil 5w30, but have recently switched to Royal Purple 5w20. More expensive, but it seems like everything feels "quicker". Friends tell me I should switch to Amsoil, but I dunno...