Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oil Zon fretless phenowood board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soulbrother, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Hi people,

I really like my Zon Sonus fretless 5. The only thing i'd like to know is: does the phenowood board need some fingerboardoil or other lubricant to keep it in good condition? Hope you can help me out! Thanks!

2. It doesn't need it. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't even soak in the oil. Phenowood is birch that is injected with carbon resins, then superheated and compressed. It's completely stable - kind of like petrified wood. I doubt it's even porous anymore.

It is no longer dependant on things like oil treatments. It won't dry out, crack, warp, or anything else.

Hope this helps.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Zon4John speaks the truth. I've got 3 Curbows with Rockwood boards (exact same thing as phenowood), and I've never done anything to them in the 7 years I've been playing them.

4. Thanks guys!:D

5. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hey Zon4John!,

That is indeed good to know, seeing as how i bought the zon fretless from you ;)

Now if i can just get thru this intonation hurdle, im getting better but still emit strange "killing a cat sounds" when i go up to the high register ;)