Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oiled rosewood fretless board - what does it sound like?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Btone, May 28, 2002.

1. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Any of you experienced with an oiled rosewood fretless board?

I want a finish on my unfinished fretless rosewood board...but I'm not happy with the epoxy-on-wood idea.
    I would rather go for an oil that penetrates AND hardens - like Danish oil.

In what way will this change the tone?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I was wondering the same thing, except I want to know what are the cons and pros of the following:

1. Lemon oil coated board
    2. epoxy coated
    3. polyurathayne (spelling?)

3. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    ...and how do the different finishes affect tone...compared to each other and to an unfinished rosewood board?
    :)

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I can't imagine a lemon-oil coated board doing a great deal to alter the tone. It will evaporate from the board rather quickly anyway.

The various clear coat top finishes are going to differ more in durability than in tone. As a rule, the harder the surface of the board, the brighter the tone will be. And there varying degrees of hardness with poly and epoxy. It all depends on the type used and how you apply it.

Both poly and epoxy are much harder than an unfinished board and will make for a very bright sound.

Epoxy is more durable and preferable for use with rounds. Poly will wear off faster and become hazed from scratches pretty quickly.

While there are players out there that have a gifted touch and can really make the coated boards sing, IME, they are too bright. I don't really care much for the tone.

Chas

5. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Had a Dean which I defretted and filled the slots with wood filler of a similar color as the rosewood board. Then finished the board in tung oil and paste wax.

Not too sure bout the effect on tone, cos the bass was fretted when the fingerboard was raw. (sounds pretty bright to me though) But the board wears pretty fast, considering that rosewood isn't the hardest wood (not by a long shot) and that I use roundwounds...

[​IMG]

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I really like the sound of an unfinished rosewood board. I have two basses with ebony, and while it wears better, I like the sound of the rosewood better. It is a little deeper, and not as "clicky" as the ebony. I had good luck finishing a rosewood board by putting a thing layer of epoxy on, then sanding most of it off so it stayed in the open pores. It looked and sounded unfinished. I usually don't like the brightness of finished boards, though.