Oiling a rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 22, 2002.

1. What type of oil is used on a rosewood fretboard? I was stripping the finish off a neck yesterday and some of the stripper got on the fretboard. It seemed to pull the oil out discoloring the wood.

Also, would there be a problem with oiling the entire neck, maple and rosewood, and then applying a satin finish on the maple afterwards? I want to darken the neck slightly and I thought the oil might woork well for that.
  2. Is this just any old lemon oil I can get at the grocery store?
  3. if you're referring to the one you use for cooking.. no.. :)

I bought my bottle at a furniture-shop.. $ 6 for a 500ml bottle.. they use it to protect outdoor wooden-chairs etc against weather influences.. i use it to oil my fretboards :) works perfect
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't oil where you're planning on finishing...
  5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Dr. Duck's Axe wax. It's an oil for cleaning ANYTHING on a guitar, bass, violin, etc. It's like Lemon oil on steroids. It removes schmunda (finger buildup, see any guitar repair guide, I didn't make up the word) and leaves a protective coat over and in wood so it stays clean and playable.

Guitar Center has it and it's not much more than Lemon Oil.
  6. Yeah, that's my new word for the week.
  7. Try "DR. Stringfellow" lemon oil.............removes the gunk and smells good too!