1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oiling a vintage Fender P rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by daveinbrooklyn, Sep 28, 2008.

1. I'm thinking about oiling the rosewood fretboard of one of my old P basses. I don't think it's been treated in decades, and I've been told by a few techs that it would be good to remove the strings and oil the board to help preserve the wood. For how long, if at all, should I let the bass sit before I wipe off the oil? Anything I should be careful about before I do this? I've heard too much oil can cause the frets to lift. I was planning to use Old English lemon oil.

thanks

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey Dave - just look about 4 threads/posts down from yours and you'll see the same question with about 3 pages of input. Neck will not shift just because the strings are off. :cool: PS-never hurts to do a little search before posting. There are those on here that get pretty nasty about members posting before searching at least a little. :meh:

3. Hey Oren,

Thanks, Sorry I missed the previous post. I'd checked the page before I posted but I must've scrolled past the thread. Long weekend and my eyes are getting tired...

Take it easy,
    Dave

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Rosewood = Linseed Oil