Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oily Hands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by E_Horizon, Mar 20, 2001.

1. E_Horizon

E_Horizon

Jan 8, 2001
    Yup, my hands are oily

That gives me a lot of problems on playing bass. Even if i've washed hard my hands with millions of sustances, while i'm playing it comes again. It's kinda frustrating.

My speed goes down, also my precision, since the slides and fast stuff aren't that good on oily strings.

Im damned with that

What can i do to keep my hands clear and dry while i'm playing?

Also

What can i do with my strings? ... is there any way to clean strings without take 'em off and then boil them?

2. ack! I have the same problem! Please tell us what to do! I hate it!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think I might have an inexpensive sulotion to this problem.

Try getting some of that non-water based gel for cleaning you hands. They sell it at places like Rite aid and Walgreens. I use some and my hands stay pretty dry.

Will C.:cool:

4. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    What about something like baby powder?

5. i tried talcum powder (i think that's what its called) and the strings got all gunky. good thing i was about to get rid of that set.

6. In a pinch, I used to use chalk dust and it seemed to work pretty well. Big Wheel has a good point, too. Are you talking about that citrus scented stuff (i think it's just called orange) or that hand cleaner they sell at the auto parts store? The only other suggestion that I can make is to use a rosin bag, like the pitchers use, or a cloth beanbag to grip and absorb the sweat.

7. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I have just rubbed it on the back of the neck so it doesn't get on my fingers, just the palms.

8. I would imagine that any sort of powder (chalk , talcum or other) could be a problem (gunked-up strings) depending on the type of strings you use. Probably not too bad on smooth flatwounds. A friend of mine suggested washing your hands with a liquid dishwashing soap (at least twice a day) to dry them up a bit. I think that too much of that can lead to skin cracking, which is not a good thing either.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ah. It's good to see the world is catching on.:D

Anyhoo, that's close. I'd hate to have that citrus smell on my hands while playing, though.

I took a llok at the little bottle I have and the label sez "Instant Hand Sanitizer" and has a small caption saying "compare to Purell".

I use it at work, where I get in contact with a lot of things (mostly computer keyboards and the like) that were touched by God knows whom. Community college. You never know.

Will C.:cool:

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Here's an idea... PUT UP WITH IT!

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It could be your diet.

12. This is funny, I hate it when my hands are dry while playing. Especially my fingers. I actually rub my fingers on my oily forehead for lubrication. I guess I'm the other end of the spectrum.

13. same here.... I´m always so dry on my hands!! it´s really annoying... and I´m always really hot on my hands... even when there´s freezing outside and I´m cold everywhere I´m hot on my hands!

14. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    I believe there's rubbing alcohol in that hand sanatizer stuff. It works pretty damn good.

15. E_Horizon

E_Horizon

Jan 8, 2001
    It seems like there's alot of ways to keep clean my hands

thanks guys

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Didn't Jaco eat Fried Chicken before playing Bass so he can get that Greasy hands and play or something? :D C'mon! Even the "legend" did it! :D

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Baking Soda.....

A good guitarist friend of mine said that when he gigged full time he carried around a little bag of baking soda...dip your fingers in there and shake off the excess and it 1.) neutralizes the acid in your sweat 2.) dries out your hands, and 3.) DOESN'T gunk up the strings. He said to be sure and shake off the excess so that it just left a thin coat on your fingers, but he said thats the best solution he's ever seen.

18. i have a pool table in my basement and every time before i play guitar i get some of that pool table chalk stuff on my hands, it works pretty well as long as i dont get to much and im not wearing a black shirt

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

That seems like it would really screw your strings up. Along with being especially messy:eek:

20. oh..good idea. i think i had a huge pile on my hands. heh