Oingo Boingo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 31, 2003.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I heard one of their songs the other day, "Dead Mans Party" and I thought it had a bad little groove going on.

Who is the bassist?
  2. All my Boingo cd's are, at the moment, on loan...
    As I recall, Danny Elfman's brother was the original bassist. But I am not sure which album Deadman's Party was on originally.

Also, on the Farewell cd and dvd, Jon Avila plays the part on a bass keyboard.

Great band.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    don't know the guy's name, but he plays vigier basses...or at least he did at last check...that tune is cool...i like that movie "back to school" where oingo boingo is jamming
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The song Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo was released on the album Dead Man's Party in 1985. The song is also on the Back to School soundtrack and many other compilation albums.

Both John Avila and Kerry Hatch have bass playing credits on the Dead Man's Party album. I don't know which one of them played on the song.

Weird Science is another popular song from the Dead Man's Party album.

Oingo Boingo was a cool, talented band that got lost in the "New Wave" shuffle. But now, I think it's great that Danny Elfman, and a few others from the band, have gone on to bigger and better things.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Has anyone ever heard "Boingo" not Oingo Boingo... just Boingo... it's almost like a Danny Elfman side project. I guess the guitarist from the Vandals plays on it. It's more related to Elfman's movie score composing... very dramatic. They also do a bitchin' cover of I am the walrus. It was an awesome discount bin find.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, their bassist is John Avila.

I think Avila has also done his own solo stuff since then.
    The Oingo Boing tape sitting out in my truck is titled 'Boi-ngo'...it is Oingo Boingo, not a side project, with songs like Little Girls and Only a Lad, and great bass work by Avila.
  7. man!

Boingo is one of the most original pop bands EVER!

I used to have material of theirs when they were still the Mystic Knights o the Oingo Boingo! the EP (for anyone who was alive when viny was still the mainstay) that came in Only A Lad, with that great cover of "Violent Love", was ripping!

Kerry Hatch and John Avila are the best know bassists in the band and are both tremendously underrated players.

Kerry's slap line on "Insects" still blows me away.

John Avila's side project, by the way, was called Food For Feet. their initial EP with tunes like "Cross Culture" and an unbelievable cover of "Tequila" is MUCH better than the stuff they released later. they used to play around Los Angeles and were a killer live band!!

from the low end,