1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, 1911 Fans........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. The guns and knives are back from the SHOT Show. Bryan at Alaska Gun just posted these on our forum. Nothing like a nice 1911 with a can and optical sight :) Gun by Ned Christiansen, Knife by ME :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sweet setup there. What kind of finish is that?

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay I'll bite. How does the Docter stay sighted in if it's not only removable but also mounted on a threaded can?

Also, what kind of wood was used on those grips? They're sweet!

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Very nice set.

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Drooling on keyboard..... :eek:

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1000

I love the checkering on the backstrap.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Scha-wing!

That is quite possibly the perfect combination! There just aren't words....

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nice.

I like the finish.

9. I don't even want to know how much either of those cost. Very nice looking.

lowsound

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    +1 on the checkering, that's hot! I'm also curious about the reliability of a scope mounted in that fashion.

11. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I misread this thread title as 9/11 fans... It's late.

12. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Boioioioing

How did the suppressor mount on the barrel? I didn't see threads in the other pics.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Exquisite. Love the front strap checkering and the rear main spring checkering. Replacing the main spring housing is my next upgrade for my Kimbers.

14. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Curious as to the suppressor mounting myself, no threads to be seen.

15. As soon as Ned posts the details on the gun, I'll post them here. I'm sure it works and works well or he wouldn't have brought it to the SHOT Show. I missed the show this year so I never saw it in person.

Not exactly your basic barrel bushing!! Here's a clue..........

[​IMG]

I'm sure that aluminum thingy is the tool that makes it all go together...........and come apart ;)

[​IMG]

Check out the lightened, lightweight hammer!!

[​IMG]

16. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I really need a picstory of how you checkered that wood.

17. That was my first EVER attempt at checking.......other than playing around with my Dads checkering tools when I was a kid. I cheated and milled mine in. I ordered some checkering tools so that I can do it on a curved surface next time ;) The wood is Cocobolo and is ROUGH on the nasal passages :( Next year, the knifemaker is going to make the gun grips as well so the wood or materials will match perfectly.

18. Well, you "cheated" quite nicely. Looks great. I love the swirl effect on the blade. Is that from heat or something in the metal?

19. Yeah, the checkering came out perfect. It took about two hours to build a holding fixture and about 5 minutes to mill the grooves in :) I tried twice by hand and ran out of time. The Cocobolo is very hard and is great to work with.

The steel is called damascus. It's made of several carbon steel alloys that start out as thin layers. They are then forge welded together, twisted, folded and hammered out into a useable billet. I didn't make the steel myself. Todd Fischer, another maker here in Florida made the rough billet to my specs.

20. Now that is sweet!

I relly want a Glock, a 1911 and a Desert Eagle just to try them out and learn how to target shoot. To bad the gunlaws in norway are very diffuse..