1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, a stupid question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Sep 23, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Ok this is probably a really stupid question but; the P pup on my memphis has a bit of surface rust on the round spots (which I used to know what they were and totally forgot (magnets or magnet surfaces??)...brain cramp so for sake of argument they are 'chrome round spots' :bag:) on the face of the pup. Can I file/clean that off and not mess up the pickup? The thing sounds so sweet so its all working ok, just some age on the surface of the pickup that I don't want on there.

Thanks for reading and once the laughter stops an answer would be nice. LOL!!!! :D

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I wouldn't bother, dosn't affect it in any way.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The rust wont hurt the magnets, but if the rust gets down in the coil, it can cause a short or break. That what Seymour Duncan writes:

4. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Mmmm if the rust travels down it can ruin the pup? To those of you who have never heard a lawsuit Memphis, the pups are KILLER!!!!!!!!! I can't replace this pup....maybe take a scotchbright (I think thats the name of it) pad to it?

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    another old trick is to put some clear nail polish on the pole pieces once they are cleaned up. That's an *old* trick I learned back in the '70's...

6. i would use something like #0000 steel wool to clean then up. Probably better than a scotchbright pad.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Never use steel wool near pickups! Little bits get into the pickup and will f*** it up!

I'd use one of those soft cloths made for polishing household metal.

8. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I have a sterling silver polishing cloth. I will try that. And yea, with my luck steel wool would get down there and then Id be screwed. LOL I will definitely do the fingernail polish once I clean it up.

Sheesh this poor thing needs a lot of work. Mostly some detailed clean up and fret work. It better be worth it when Im done. LOL If this was my first Memphis Id have thrown it away at this point.. O_O... harhar..

Thanks guys for the replies!!!!! And thanks all too for the help in my thread about the frozen trussrod (that has since been unfrozen) said Memphis had.

This board rocks!!!

9. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Got a pic of your Memphis?

10. Ok Starscream, you've heard me say this before. WD-40 fixes everything. Put the wd-40 on the scotchbrite or polishing cloth, it will penetrate the rust and make it easier to remove.

11. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    the round parts are pole pieces, by the way.

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I agree! It even fixed some dirty faders on my mixer that got pepsi spilled in them. Nothing else would work.

A little WD-40 on the magnets, and after they are wiped very dry, some clear nail polish and that should take care of it.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    uh, wd-40 eats some stuff like rubber for instance... mabe plastic too ? I wouldn't want to find out on my pickup.

14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Heres a couple of the auction pics:

5451_1.

And a shot of the lawsuit headstock"

584b_1.

I was suppose to take some new shots of it this past weekend or the weekend before but I suck and never got around to it. the covers, PG and stuff is off of it now and Im checking into some tools to level those frets off so the neck is about to come off of it. So, new pics will have to wait but trust me, Ive got the beast.

And yea WD40 can take care of anything I think. LOL WD40 and duct tape and you can fix the world. :p

15. No way! Steel wool and pickups never go together. Thats why when you relevel/recrown your frets you isolate the pups well so no fret debris will adhere to the magnets.

16. my bad, that was a stupid idea