Ok, again. Cab for Ampeg V4RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mickebas, Jul 13, 2020.

1. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a SVT212AV which looks great and sounds good but... I’m considering getting a 610, 410HLF or a combination of a 410HE + 115 to get the sound up from my ankles. Also (I think) I prefer the sound of the 410HE as far as attack and punch goes even though it may not have the warmth and the depth of the 212AV.
    Help needed...

2. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    You’ll probably gonna get a ton of people telling you to get a 2nd SVT212AV. and I agree with them.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I am just going to say before the 410-115 police arrive that there is no real reason to do that. You would be better served with 2 115's or 2 210's stacked vertically . But all in all I would agree that a second SVT212AV would be a great modular rig.

matt11, TN WOODMAN and mickebas like this.
  4. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    I suspect you're right. But what I've tried that and although the AV212s are great and I might end up with those I'd played through the V4Ri and a single 410 HE at work and really like the dynamic of that cabinet. It seems faster and I can hear myself better but on he other hand it migh not be as big and deep sound vise. But if big and deep and still punchy was what I was primarily after I guess I should get a 810... but then there's the practical side of things. Getting me some 8 ohm, more portable cabs would give me a lot more options with my other amps, the GenzBenz 6,0 and the Fender Rumble 500 combo.

5. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    ..also you know the feeling when you have something and want to try a different set up. The old greener grass hypothesis. I've used the AV212 for a couple of years now and although good it's not 100% what I'm looking for. Looks damm nice though and as far as looks go it's the 212AV or the 810AV that's the natural choice with the V4RI.... then there's my back and my car...

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Ampeg has made a few versions of the 410 HLF. I had one with the black grill cloth and nothing but low frequency Mud. So a few years later I found one that had silver grill cloth and it sounded fantastic. The 410He cabs get a bad rep some places because they don't like a lot of lows and Power at the same time . I know people that blew them up with 300W solid state heads at moderate output levels. There are many Iterations of the 810e so be careful you don't end up with the ones with the particle board cabs. If you Find a cab you are interested in Ping JimmyM and he and others can help you navigate the 810e minefield. I have 2 an old flatback and a Heritage both sound great but different.

mickebas likes this.
  7. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    My suggestion would be to search for a Bergantino NV 610 or NV 412 I have both and they are lighter and go lower and louder than any 810e and being sealed cabs they get along great with my V4B Ri AND SVT's as well as my SS heads

GregC, mattwear and mickebas like this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I ran two 212AVs with my V4B and it was amazing. I later got a Heritage 810, which was better IMO than both 212AVs together. If you have the means to transport it, I find rolling/tilting the 810 to be a much easier schlep than carrying those 212s around. I know I’m an anomaly here on TB for saying this, but I actually like both rigs more than the Bergantino NV412 I had - that cab was fantastic, but the Ampegs are warmer sounding to my ears anyway.

I don’t care for the sound of the 410/115 combination I tried, but my 210/115 is amazing (these are Aguilar SL cabs powered by a DB751). Way bigger sounding than a single 212AV and MUCH easier to move around. I’m not familiar with the Ampeg 210/115 offerings, but I like that format a lot.

If it were me, I’d go with the Heritage 810

9. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    I think I just might do that, thanks for the input :)

10. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    So if I would go for the 810, is there a big difference in the 810 Heritage, 810AV or the 810E? And buying a new Heritage would that give me the option of a matching ’silver face grill’ as with the 810AV?

11. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Dismiss what looks great and get some vintage milk crates or relic them yourself. I hear hear John Cruz is looking for work. Perhaps he can help you out.

The 810 is a bad idea. Looks cool, OK, practicality sux. Mine has not moved in 20 years. You'll get tired of moving it.

"I prefer the sound of the 410HE as far as attack and punch goes"
    Get 2, 410HE's. You get to play rock star and for added warmth and depth, set it up in a corner and face the lower cabinet towards the wall

mickebas likes this.
  12. As a V-4B owner who has also played it through a few different cabs, my choices would be:

A couple of folding stools or something to lift the cab off the floor
    Another 212AV
    a 112AV (I have 2 of these)
    810 if it is practical for you to move it if needed.
    410HLF

As far as the 410HLF, there seem to be different versions of them out there. At the rehearsal studio we play in, one room has a V-4B/410HLF and the other a V4-B/212AV. There is a noticeable difference with the 212AV being my clear preference.

Vintagefiend and mickebas like this.
  13. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    Ok, thanks. I'm leaning towards using my 210 Barefaced audio cab between my 212AV and the amp. That way I will get the 2 10s in a good position for hearing myself. And the Barefaced has the option of having it in 4 ohms (as well as 12). Maybe I'll get a 610 or a 810 later on if I feel I need but as times are now a 810 would probably mostly stay at home.

14. I'll be curious to hear how those cabs sound together. The 212 is such a magic sounding cab on it's own and that is what I would personally rather use to set set my tone and monitor.

Vintagefiend and mickebas like this.
  15. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Concur, especially about the black face HLF being nothing but MUD

16. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    If you want 10s, get an 810.

Otherwise, get an old V4 412 with bass drivers in it, or another 212.

I hate 410 cabs...they're almost worthless in any practical situation...

CTBassGuy likes this.
  17. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    Ok, so I'll avoid the 410s then, especially the HLF. So, it seems like the general consensus might be to add another SVT212, just as predicted in the beginning of the thread :)

Bent77 likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I wouldn't do the 410 + 115. Ampeg used to make a cab that was half 410 half 115 and I hated it. A lot of folks do like the 410hlf, but it goes too low in the lows for me. I really dig the 610hlf, though, and despite it being ported, it sounds way closer to the 810e than the 410hlf.

So differences in 810's...the 810e and 810av are the same, just different cosmetics. The Heritage, however, is IMHO the best cab ever to come out under the Ampeg name. Better sounding speakers that really nail the sound of the awesome CTS alnicos that were in the first SVT 810 flatbacks, but take a whole lot harder pounding than the CTS's. And yes, you can get it with a silver grill. Yamaha just released the Heritage 50th Anniversary SVT which looks like the Blue Line SVT's, and is selling Heritage cabs with the blue/silver grillcloth to go along with them.

Bass 45, Mastermold and mickebas like this.
  19. mickebas

mickebas

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks Jimmy! A Heritage it will be then, i'm pretty certain. And keep my 212AV for certain gigs :)

Vintagefiend and JimmyM like this.
  20. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    You won't be disappointed.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Heritage 810 to go with my SVT-VR...

JimmyM and mickebas like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021