1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok all you big spending vintage J fanatics. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv, Oct 1, 2006.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    This got my attention... well, mainly the price tag. But man, would it be a beautiful thing to own an all-original '65 with those unplayed vintage frets and Brazilian rosewood board. . .

I have to stop thinking about it :help:

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Man, that's sweet.:cool: It blows me away how much the vintage Jazz basses are selling for these days. :eek:

3. No shortage of pics either :eyebrow:

4. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Buy it. It will only be the best thing you ever do :)

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Oh, I would. . . I'm just about $14,000 short. . . :smug:

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Really, that all? I'm about $16,800 short. :smug:

7. I've been seeing this bass over and over on Ebay, or I am crazy

8. That ones been posted a few times here already.

The fretboard on it is absolutely beautiful. I'd rather have one thats been played in a bit than a "closet classic", though.

9. 4 years ago when I was a very broke student I had the chance to buy a sunburst 65 from a guy who bought it new and never learned to play, it was amazing! It barely had a scratch. The asking price was freaking $4000!!! and I couldn't get the money together in time. Seeing the price of a similar bass is enough to make me cry, missing out on that deal is gonna sting for years.

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm sorry man. That does suck.

11. I feel your pain. years ago when I was a student I came across a late 60s P Bass selling for 700 bucks. I was 400 short

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    This bass has been discussed here many a times.

It's scary the condition it's in. Nearly flawless.

-Mark

13. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am really sick of seeing this bass on here, and then the following 4 pages of conversation will be the fact people going "OHH YEAH IT MUST BE A **** BASS, LOOK AT THE NECK ITS NOT IN THE POCKET PROPERLY, IT DOESNT LINE UP" HAW HAW HAW. Then more complaining about how over priced it is, and then more people complaining that it will go to some Japanese investor.

End of thread.

14. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what's that strap button(?) on the back of the headstock for? Did people attach the strap from the back of the body to the headstock?

15. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Seeing as how this bass has been relisted about a dozen times I'd say vintage Jazzes DON'T sell at this price.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Moro, that's the "hootnanny button" to allow unreconstructed upright players to play it as an upright.

Great idea, right? All the latest boutique basses have one.

It disappeared not long after this bass was built.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It is stock. Even my '69 P-bass neck has that. Yes, some people used a long strap to hook up there. This was because guitar straps often were designed (and used) in this way. Needless to say, instruments rode high, and it was cumbersome.

I, too am tired of seeing this bass discussed, but it is good that it can at least bring up something of interest from the period. Oh, and that bass is about $10,000 over-priced, IMHO. :p

18. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Interesting that my (all stock, OHSC, ect, ect.) '65 neck is stamped two days before this one on eBay. And it was more than 10K less than this one's asking price.

Attached Files:

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That is gorgeous. Wow!

-Mark

20. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Would be really useful on a neck-heavy bass, wouldn't it? :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021