Ok another multi effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ive been doing the searches but I just cant find a specific answer for my needs. Ive got a side project going where will being doing stuff like Jamiroquai, James Brown, Bill Withers, EW&F etc... I need some of the bass sounds/effects of that era, Fuzz, synth, a setting for slappin', and I also need a tuner. My rig for this project will be my old SWR 350 and a avatar 2x10 pro with a jazz bass. I like to keep things simple, convenient, and easy to use but dont want to sacrifice tone especially when I bypass the effect unit. Any ( sorry but more) advice on which multi effect unit floor or rack with floor pedal to get? I dont like pedals b/c of batteries and too many individual pieces of equipment. Im thinking around $500 or less.
    Ive been in a rock band for years and always steered away from effects. I dont mean to beat a dead horse here but Im totally lame when it comes to effects! I just need something quick, with solid and usable (maybe preset) effects for this type of new project Im in. thanks!
  2. well, Boss makes the SE-70, VF1, and GT-6b, the Me-50B, all of which i have head good things, there is the ART Nightbass SE, which is the one i have, which is cool, Digitech makes a cool BNX3, which even has a 8-track recorder built-in, i've never used it, but it sounds like it have the possibilities of being awesome...and line 6 has the POD series too
  3. So it seems like anyone of these options make a good choice for what I need to do, which I feel is pretty limited to the need of just a couple of good funky effects and tuner. I mean any effect here that you mentioned will get the job done? Thanks for the info!
  4. well, they are all decent fx, i'm sure they all will get the job done. what effects are you looking for in particular? maybe that will help narrow down your choices
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    The thing is, most multieffects are bad with synth sounds. I used to own a Boss me-8b. The unit is old and discontinued, but Stuart Zender used it for his live performances with Jamirouquai (along with a Boss me-6b before that) and the synths and filters on the unit were great. the fuzz was good too. unfortunately the rest of the unit wasn't all that great, and the power jack started to act up on me so i sold it (buyer knew about the issue). THe current gen of multi effects from boss doesn't really have great synth effects, but I havent tried the ones on the Digitech, Roland or Line6 units
  6. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    If you know specifically what tones you are looking for, you are going to get better tone seeking individual pedals. Just had to mention that since you say you do not want to sacrifice tone. For less than $100 you can buy a power supply and a velcro board.

Sounds like you need an envelope, a fuzz pedal, and maybe an octaver. The Digitech Bass Synth Envelope might get you a good start along with a Sans Amp.

I had a Boss GT-6B. Sent it back and bought a better amp. I now have a Boss BR-864 8 track with multi effects in it. They are fun to play with but nothing I would play in front of an audience. IMO digital is not there yet.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I tried most of the FX listed, and I settled on a GT-6B. It sounds great to my ears, but takes a ton of messing around with to get good tones. If you want something similar, the ME-50B took that prize to my ears.
  8. Sounds like you need an envelope, a fuzz pedal, and maybe an octaver”.

Really appreciate it guys! Yeah going for the Bootsy thing etc... just to funk up the tone a little bit when I need to, but like I said I don’t want to screw with my bass tone, I also don’t need the best or total pro sounding effects either. Just looking for a all in one multi unit that can get the job done? Of course some of you sound as if most multi units are just not up to live performances and I really want to avoid that from happeningas well.
    Wow, I didn’t think this was going to be that tough of a decision, especially with what all the mags are saying these days about the technology for bass is so much better. Maybe Ill look into the pedal thing again and see what I can come up with. I just hope I don’t end up storing them in my closet next to my Trace Elliot dual compressor, boss bass distortion, chorus, and limiter enhancer I bought 10 years ago! :)
  9. i would give the line 6 podXT live a try...i think that it should have everything you need, if you really want a multiFX box. I wouldn't say that they don't work well for live performances, i think they work just fine...i know a lot of people have most of their troubles with multi-FX boxes live because they switch patches during the songs, and on some boxes there is a little bit of a delay associated with switching patches, so it makes it harder to work with that when you are used to single effects...of course with some of the new pedals, you can set it up like a pedalboard, where there are 3-4 footswitches on the box, one controls overdrive, then modulation, then delays/reverbs, then a volume/wah pedal at the end, and that seems like it could be a good solution for you...thats how my nightbass SE/X-15 foot controller works...you can set it up in stomp box mode and on my X-15 i have about 10 buttons and i can turn effects on and off independently, so there isn't any delay there...
  10. Thanks superbassman! Im going to give the line 6 a try today and also the boss gt-6b.

Thanks again everyone.
  11. Just wanted to chime in that I got a Zoom B2 at the end of the year. Lots of folks around here seem to equate the Zoom boxs with holiday fruitcake. But, I've had good luck with this thing.

I'm not a hard-core effects guy. But, I've been able to get some very usable octave (1 down), chorus, doubling, and auto-wah sounds. The synth is limited (tracking's touchy). But, I've managed to find a couple of usable sounds for that as well (as long as you play simple lines). The reverbs and delays are fine for live. And a patch called "defret" has been nice for some solo lines. I really like a couple of the amp models and the tuner's easy. Bypass mode is clean.

I got mine for around $100 bucks.
    All-in-all, it's worked out great for me ...

12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know you want to keep it simple, but I think for the few things you need, you'd be better off with individual pedals.

I like to keep it simple as well, and use only a few effects. I have tried to like multi units (I sold my 3rd Pod last month) and I always end up getting individual pedals again.

If you go multi, I think the Boss ME-50B would be a good choice. It sounds like you just want effects and not all the amp an dcab model stuff.
  13. Well I went into Sam Ash today to try out the various multi units that you guys have suggested. Its a bit overwhelming to see just what will work for me while sitting there speechless and confused infront of hundreds of knobs! I mean unless I just buy something and take it home read the manual for hours and try it out live for a few weeks, who really knows right? So I was walking out and saw a used boss ME-50B that looked brand new with the manual and a 1year sam ash warranty on parts/labor for $200. I got it and I guess Ill just have to see? But Im good to go, for now at least! :) Thanks again