ok, another Sadowsky question....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, May 22, 2005.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    .. if one were to have a passive bass, with a passive tone control, and one added a Sadowsky outboard preamp, would that be THE SAME as having the same bass with a Sadowsky onboard preamp?
    i mean, would the tone be the same ? given it is the same bass with the same pickups, etc ... anyone know ?
  2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

My guess ... there would be a slight difference in sound adding the onboard pre since the pots need to be replaced and the wiring needs to be upgraded...

interesting question....
  3. Provided that you bypass any passive tone-shaping from your bass (get the capacitor(s) out of the signal path), there is no reason why the external should sound different than the onboard.

The easiest way to get that cap out of the path is to simply "dial it" out. Yes, pegging the tone control the "bright" position will bypass the Low-pass, passive RC circuit.

I'm pretty much set-and-forget when it comes to tone shaping, and I'm sold on outboard pre-amps. IMO, a much better value when it comes to flexibility.
  4. So close you probably could not tell the difference in my opinion....I use the Sadowsky Outboard on ALL my NON Sadowsky basses with great success......I am thinking of putting a set of Sadowsky PUPS and an onboard preamp on an EXCEPTIONAL Marcus Miller 4 I found....I belive it would set this bass off!! I am VERY happy with what I get out of the Sadowsky outboard with the pre on the Marcuss bypassed OR engaged.....the highs are a bit shrill on the stock Pre which is why I am thinking of making the mod....

5. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I've got a pair of Sadowsky basses, and I've also got the outboard preamp (the newer version with the footswitches). I've A/B'd the outboard vs. the onboard a number of times, and to my ears, the sound is identical.

To be more exact, I simply ran the bass through the footpedal, then to the amp. First, I'd turn the onboard preamp on, and turn off the outboard. Then I'd swap over, bypassing the onboard preamp, and turning on the foot pedal. I'd try different settings on each preamp, comparing like for like settings. My impression was that they sounded the same in each setting.
  6. Well there ya have it. Great bit of research. Just as we suspected. A very useful piece of information. Now everyone, please, go and get yourself at least an outboard pre-amp...ummm...like...TODAY!...:)
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

+1 Here.
    I did the same thing and got the same results.

BTW AG, I MAY have a nice buckeye burl BN5 for sale ;)
    Like I said though, I MAY .
  8. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    nice one Mark. :)
  9. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Thanks. It was more out of curiosity than anything - I'd seen so many people ask this question, I thought I'd check it out for myself while I had all the tools available to me.
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    .. and i thank you all for the helpful replies !!