Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok, avatar cabs, need help/advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Apr 19, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Ive posted once before about this but i didnt explain myself very well, this time ill try do do it a bit better as i know more what i want.

I am seriously thinking about getting an Avatar B410 cab, and perhaps, next year adding a B115 to it, so what impendance should i get if i eventually want to run Two cabs? keeping in mind i will want the maximun power output.

My guess is that i should get an 8ohm 410 and then get an 8 ohm 115 so i will have when connected together, im really not great at my physics and im yet to find a site that has really detailed info on this matter.

Another question i have is about an amp, the 115 is rated at 600watts, so am i right in thinking that the most powerful amp i could have is 600watts with the 410 and the 115 together?

I think i have given as much info as possible but if u need more to answer my question please ask for it, i dont want to be spending my hard earned cash on something and then realise i cant use it as i intended, thanks in advance

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    It depends on what the minimum impedance is on your amp. You can run the amp with any load of that impedance or higher.
    8 ohm cab + 8 ohm cab = 4 ohm load
    4 ohm cab + 4 ohm cab = 2 ohm load
    4 ohm cab + 8 ohm cab = 2.67 (?) ohm load
    NO. You can use a 10,000 watt amp if you want. (Yes, I'm aware they don't exist) Just watch your volume and the speakers!

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    God i wish this was all easier, ok i understand about the amp issue, i just have to be careful.
    Still a little confused about the ohm deal, if i get Two 8ohm cabs my amp would have to be 4 ohms or higher?
    i hope im right lol, my drink is beginning to settle in........;)

4. Yes you are now thinking right. The two 8 ohm cabs together will draw at 4 ohms. Whatever head, or pre-amp/power amp setup you decide on will need to handle down to 4 ohms.

There are a lot of amps out there that will handle down to 2 ohms, but I would not want to push it.

If you get a head that goes down to 2 ohms, you might want to try a 8 ohm 4X10 and a 4 ohm 1X15. If you bi-amp, you would be sending more power to the 1X15 (which is preferable). Also, if you play full range, the 2 cabs together would be 2.67 ohms (within the amps operating range).

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ah yes, bi-amping, a term ive seen used many times, but still i have no idea what it means, i assume it some sort of method of connecting the amps? like series and parallel........

6. Nope.......gotta correct you on this one.

To Bi-Amp is to seperate the frequency output of your amp into Highs and Lows by means of a crossover. To do this, you need a either a head that is bi-amp capable, or use a pre-amp/power amp setup (most pre-amps have a built in crossover). Effectively then, you are using 2 seperate power amps to drive the signal of your highs and lows.

Since low frequencies require more power to reproduce than high frequencies, it is desirable to have more power running to the lows than the highs. Since in most cases, the power level (watts) is the same due to use of a stereo power amp (equal watts per channel), the next best thing is having lower ohms on your lows.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ahhhh yes, and that is why bass amp need to be more powerful than guitar amps to produce the same sort of voulmes!!!! im learning!!!, so i figure the best idea is to go with two 8ohms cabs, i think that way im covered as alot of heads/amps come in 4 ohms......(i think) Still a bit confused but im getting there......

8. Ok,this is related to his situation...

Say I got a 100w(@ 4 ohms) head...and got a 112 Avatar hooked up to it(200 watts @ 8,I believe) ...would everything be ok? how many watts would I get out?

...what if I adde a 115?(8 ohm ,600 watts) ?

-Jon:oops:

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ill guess this before anyone else answers, and tell me if im right please, i think you could only get 100w out of it as thats the power rating of your amp, however if you got a bigger speaker, it might be louder as there is more speaker to vibrate and so more noise can be made....... just a guess.....

10. You'd get roughly 50-60 watts into the 112 and 100, equally devided into the two cabs...

And my .02...Get a 4 ohm 115 and an 8 ohm 4x10 to allow more power to be pulled from the amp...You'd wanna use an external power amp and pre-amp....So not to try pulling a 2.6 ohm load out of a 4 ohm head...Crossing over for that would allow more power to the lows(which need it)...If you're confused, hit yourself in the head with a 2x4 and re-read it...

In BASS:bassist:
    DWB

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    lmao, im confused, read it three times........
    Im just a complete newbie with regards to this stuff, crossing over? whats that?

12. Crossing over means to split the frequency output of the amp at selected frequencis so that you can send lows and highs to different cabinets.

For Bass guitar purposes, it is usually a two way crossover (highs and lows), although you can go 3 way if desired.

The crossover point is selectable so that you can send everything below (lets say for example) 200Hz to the "Lows" cabinet(s) and everything above to the "Highs" cabinet(s). That was an arbitrary example. The crossover point is adjustable to your own tastes.

13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    lovely, thanks once again, i think ill get the 410 first then, if i need it/can afford it, ill get a 115 for the lows.....

14. the only thing I don't get is...how exactly can you be "In BASS" ?
    :p

-Jon:oops:

15. Well...If I stuck you in a small room, stacked folded horn 18's 3 cabs high all the way around the room, then stacked 6x10s 2 cabs hign on those, then mounted 4x12 cabs the rest of the way up and 4x10s on the ceiling....Powering them all with about 20 QSC PLX 3204s and stood you there with a nice DP Custom...You'd most certainly be IN BASS!!

And if that don't work...We'll get some Madison Hydras...Try out a 21" Sub...Or stack those 23" subs...I dunno....

In BASS:bassist:

DWB