1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok bass with pedal vs good bass alone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Austin_h90, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Austin_h90

Austin_h90

Mar 28, 2013
    I just joined this forum, and I'm not very technical yet ha. I was just wondering, would an okay sounding bass give me a better tone than let's say a Musicman? I have an Ibanez SR-300 right now (been playing for 6 months at my church) and I'm just now getting into my sound. Would a good bass, let's say a sterling Sb14 put out more tone than an SR-300 with a pedal?

2. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    I'd always go for a good bass before a pedal. Pedal's are nice and I use them but the bass is the thing giving you a large part of the tone!

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    It is a matter of what you prefer, but a good bass would always be prefered than a bass that needs a pedal.

Some folks prefer the sound of a Sterling over an SR, some folks prefer the sound of an SR over a Sterling.

What pedal are we even talking about?

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    At the same time there will be those who prefer the sound of the Ibanez SR300 over that of the Musicman sb14. There are plenty of lower price basses with excellent sound. And best sound for a player according to their ears is going to vary person to person.

If your sound requirtes overdrive for example. It dont matter what bass you play or how much it costs. Your not going to get your sound nor be satisfied without the overdrive effect.

Have you spent any time fiddling with your basses controls and pup adjsutments to get best for your sounds from it? Have you tried different strings for better sound for you as well? If not, your bass is capable of far more then you think it is.

What effect pedal are you wanting to use and what kind of bass sound are you after? The SR300 and right pedal may be quite capable.

5. Austin_h90

Austin_h90

Mar 28, 2013
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Your bass has a powerful EQ so you should be able to dial in all the lows you need.

7. Your amp can make a huge difference too, I had an ibanez 405 and going from my old amp to my new amp was like a whole new instrument, sounded much better.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I tried one of those tech 21 bass drivers. Returned it for refund the next day. Tone such for any conection to mixer. Worked ok for strtaight to amps instrument input but lousy for signal to mixer. For the tech 21's cost, you can get a good multi effect pedal with better sound both to amp and to mixer imo

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If you have a bass you like, can play easily, and it FEELS good when you play it for extended periods of time then put your $$$ into amp & speakers. I have a few basses bought for less than $200 that sound amazing when put into what I use. Pedals can be fun and very useful for getting many tones quick(i.e. Line 6 stuff) but a solid amp with good speakers and your hands give you a LOT of what is heard.

A side note on "need more lows". For over a decade I used 18's and 10's. All the bass ever needed. Did the "detour" thru 15's and 10's and other setups. Got ACME's and had real bass back for medium places and at home. My current "big stage" rig is a cheap front-loaded 18 PA sub with a cheap 4x8+tweeter/horn run biamped. I did not realize how much real power(bass) moving away from 18's had cost me. Quite nice to come back to them.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What amp are you using? Seems like nearly always, when somebody asks about changing their bass or pedals etc for better tone, it turns out they are playing through a little practice amp, or an amp not up to the needs of the room.

11. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    I have one good bass (MIA Jazz) and three not quite so good basses. (Mexican Squier Jazz, Ovation P Style and a seldom played Bronco) I almost always play the MIA Jazz. Better tone, no matter what amp configuration I play into, reliable as a brick, no hum, excellent playability. Me thinks if you AB'd your SR-300 with something higher up, even with a pedal, you'd prefer the higher end bass. No offence intended....

12. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    I think you might consider looking at getting the best sound with what you have first. Then, add pedals for a certain type of sound you want. It is important to get the sound you have from three things
    Bass
    Quality Cable
    Quality Amp
    Of course this is very subjective. There maybe no wrong answer. Follow your ears.

13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Pedals? What pedals? I would only go with a better bass along with a good amp.

14. Within my budget I would rather spend less on the bass so there was more $$ left for the amp and especially making sure to have my DI send to the PA/Recording be high quality.

Good sound, when you're finally out of the garage, means considering much more than what you're hearing in your bedroom or practice space.

I would rather run an SR300 or Squier through a decent DI or especially a quality tube preamp and monitor on stage with cheap combos than torture a boutique bass's output with whatever crap DI and backline a sound company provided.

You really need to build a comprehensive system that takes all possible sound scenarios into account, from private practice and band rehearsal to live sound through your own PA to big shows with pro support, plus recording.